Jestersix

Thinking of converting a FO to a zoa/soft coral tank

So my wife loves corals that move and I like sticks and chalices. Im thinking of turning 1 of my tanks into just what she likes. First question is on lighting. Currently I have a kessil that is 2 feet from the surface and 4 feet to the sand. Light too high or decent enough ?

What kind of kessil is going to make a big difference. If it's an a80 or a150, that isn't going to be enough. An a360 should do it.

Your tanks footprint will also matter.

For reference, my tank is 36"x36" and 30" tall with a pair of A360we about 8" off the water. I have about 150 par in the bottom center of my tank and 50-75 par on the edges/corners. I have euphyllia, chalices, zoas, Duncan's and nepthea in my low par areas and they do well.

Yeah what's the foot print? So it's a 24" deep tank, and while keeping it high can certainly allow better spread (at the cost of intensity) if it's a rectangular tank you're wasting a lot of that light over the edges.

Also something else to consider... you don't need corals occupying every square inch of the tank. Find where the lighting is brightest and put corals there and damn the rest. Chances are some might adapt to lower light conditions and naturally migrate.

Back