got ethical husbandry?

Yep, Another Live Rock Thread.

I am at the point of my SPS cube build when I need to consider rock-scaping. And I'm stuck deciding what is best. My end goal would be predominantly SPS with "under-planting" with some lower-PAR corals. But I do enjoy the seeing the sponges, random inverts and other cryptic type things. I feel that I have a good handle on tank cycling and live rock husbandry (though I am no expert).

So....
Option 1: Go to LFS and purchase wet rock.
Pros: Instant fix, chance for to goodies I mentioned above.
Cons: I don't know where it came from and my fear is that for the investment I might be getting someones "tainted" old rock (pests or nutrients).

My last batch of rock came from All About Fish and I was able to open the shipment boxes and cherry pick from a newly imported batch. Lots of life did survive the cycle (sponges, mysis shrimp and a couple of tunicate like features). But I beginning to get a sense that this opportunity may not exist any longer.

I've also consider Jestersix but the cons of unknown rock source, like noted above, worries me. And I like to tinker with scaping myself.

Option 2: Ceramic rock ex. Vidarock (aqua-tecture.com)
Pros: Potentially minimal risk for future of tank. I do wonder about trace metals as was noted with the ceramic filter blocks; but also can't seem to find information that directly connects the test findings with negative long-term outcome.
Cons: I can still get all the pest I desire via frags. No cryptic / benthic life. Are these really available for purchase. Need cycling from scratch.

Option 3: Tampa Bay Rock
Pros: Lots of cryptic / benthic stuff. Suggestively no cycling; though I wouldn't pull a ATF-TANKED move and dump everything in a once.
Cons: Kind of expensive. Greatest chance for undesirable critters and maybe algae. Not exactly sure what type of base rock is used until you get the shipment. And I get a bit skeptical when you can buy all sorts of odd-ball sponges, conches, sea cucumbers and live sand from the same site.

So, what would you all consider. What am I overlooking. Or if I am being just plain difficult.

There are so many other options in all the dry rock and synthetic rock available, too - it's really hard to decide!
Here is more than you want to know about my TBS experience, pros and cons vary by person.
There was so much life and cool inverts that it was a long time before I added anything else. They send your live sand and base rock first (all in water), then a couple weeks later or when you choose, they send the rest. Nope, not really a cycle. To see some of the stuff I got, check out Gallery and aways down Tank Journal at SequoiaReef.weebly.com. The owner Richard was awesome to deal with. I do not know how things are with his successor since Richard retired last year.
I got the cheapest option and most of it is NOT the beautiful Fiji/Tonga/Pukani whatever, but TBS has better, more porous options available I would select if it were for my home (current tank is in a classroom). The TBS forum on RC probably has customer photos showing it.
Caution: we overfed tank badly for 2 years keeping all the inverts alive, so my fault for causing problems now. Also, way too many urchins kept coralline algae from taking hold and I did not take enough out (loved 'em) or keep up with Ca and Alk. Not rock's fault.
Not sure what you mean about all the oddball inverts - those all come with your live rock package. If you don't want them, they won't add them to your package, but you can't guarantee they won't be in your rock anyway. Some people want cukes, conches, and urchins, while other people do not. If your priority is the benefit and wonder from the amazing life that comes on live rock and you can stomach unknown creatures that can appear months later, go for the TBS rock type that suits you. If you will lose sleep wondering if mantis shrimp are lurking in there or tear down your aquascape to get something out, cross off TBS and move on to other options that start you off with more control. I would put yes/no for TBS or other wet live rock at the top of your flowchart since that is the first basic decision.

I would clarify that Jester6 can work with lots of different types of rock, which you can pick if you want, so no extra unknowns there. He makes your rockscape, and does and awesome job at it in my experience.

I considered TBS and was really intrigued. They seem like a great choice if you want critters, both cool and potentially problematic. Also I think a fair amount of the stuff that comes with the rock doesn’t do well in reef aquaria so may be tough to keep alive.

I don’t like the manufactured/mined rock that isn’t porous since it has less surface area, fewer cool little hiding spots, heavier, less easy to cut when needed. But a lot of experienced people do like it.

I went with Pukani from BRS, with Jester6 doing my prep work and on-site build. Very happy with both choices.

I would clarify that Jester6 can work with lots of different types of rock, which you can pick if you want, so no extra unknowns there. He makes your rockscape, Iand does and awesome job at it in my experience.

I considered TBS and was really intrigued. They seem like a great choice if you want critters, both cool and potentially problematic. Also I think a fair amount of the stuff that comes with the rock doesn’t do well in reef aquaria so may be tough to keep alive.

I don’t like the manufactured/mined rock that isn’t porous since it has less surface area, fewer cool little hiding spots, heavier, less easy to cut when needed. But a lot of experienced people do like it.

I went with Pukani from BRS, with Jester6 doing my prep work and on-site build. Very happy with both choices.

BRS doesn't seem to be selling pukani anymore and it's been in limited supply since the ban on rock harvesting in Fiji. Unclear if ban will ever be lifted. Quick search shows that Premium Aquatics and Marine Depot still have some pukani rock for sale. A little more expensive than BRS was when they were selling it ($3.79/lb).

Opinions:

The risk of pests greatly outweighs the fun of the random life you get with real reef rock.
So use dry rock, then add exactly the critters you want.

The best looking rock is not always the best for mounting corals.
With FOWLR, it is key. But with corals, you really want more of a base rock.
Also, rock with lots of small branches tends to accumulate detritus.

Arches, tunnels and overhangs really make the aquascape look great.
So I would really suggest building fun formations. (or have jestersix do it)
But remember to also design for mounting.

Yep. I decided to go with real reef rock that i bought at Neptunes. Mostly because i had it “in hand” and for support of a lfs. But also because i wanted to minimize pest introductions with the tampa bay rock.

Back