Neptune Aquatics

What are you using for powerheads ?

This just seems like i didn't need to spend the $350 for a head that i turn down to half speed! aren't there other solutions like the MP-10 or less expensive heads?

Twp MP10s would work just fine in a 75g or one gyre. But even in those cases you're not going to run much above 60%. Your car engine will propel your car to over a hundred miles, but you usually run it about 60%. Is that a waste of money? And if you ran it at 100% all the time would it last as long?

Finding the right locations is often trial and error till you get the best flow pattern for your tank. However, for a general guideline on a 75 gallon I would use a powerhead on each side. One of them about a quarter of the way down from the top and the other one about a quarter of the way up from the bottom. For a Gyre, in most cases, a horizontal placement on one side and near the top is usually ideal.

Ran 2 x MP10wES + QD wetside upgrade in my 87G on the back wall (1/2") before I switched over at 100%. Nothing wrong with it, but the flow was very meh. Great for lagoon style setups, but not what I wanted. I pulled those off a week after switching over to dual Jebao CP-40s on opposite corners facing each other. They're not synced and produce a ton of flow and they're not at max power. Should be able to get me through even when the SPS frags turn into colonies.

Yes there are other solutions, the MP10 could possibly work, it's max output is only about 1/3 that of the MP40 though, but the price does not reflect that difference, I think $275 or so versus $350. And yes there are numerous cheaper options out there as well, you just need to do your homework and decide what you need.

The LFS "convincing you" is more like "selling you" an option that just happens to have a high cost associated with it. While I won't go so far as to say they were trying to fleece you for the most money possible, it also is a matter of not knowing what level you want your equipment to be at so they offer you a high end option.

it's frustrating because they have refused to sell me certain fish in the past based on my current stocking, so I really trusted them

thanks all for the advice and keep it coming!!

it's frustrating because they have refused to sell me certain fish in the past based on my current stocking, so I really trusted them

Well to be fair, LFS do not have the range of merchandise as online retailers do. So they are going to more often than not recommend something they have and can give you right on the spot. And Ecotech is one of those products that have MAP pricing, which basically means there's a minimum price that can be offered so they cost the same whether it through the store or online. Now there is nothing wrong with an MP40, those are really good pumps they just also happen to be at the high end of the cost spectrum for "powerheads". Also the recommendation may have been based on the fact that they know the pumps are adjustable so you can change the output to what you actually need.

The reality is there is no "formula" for which pumps will achieve the best flow, your rockwork, the coral, your needs (i.e. need for sand not to blown around) all can factor into the equation. I will say the Vortech pumps are a very good "generic" solution to tanks because they have relatively high flow rates that is adjustable, they are a low profile so they won't stick out in a tank, and their relatively wide flow pattern means that rockwork isn't going to block ALL the flow. The recommendation of 2 is not too outrageous either as any tanks 4 feet or larger is often recommended to have pumps on both sides to have some "clashing" flow and you don't need to run them too strong. However as you know by the price of the pumps, it can get expensive... but this hobby has never been about "cheap" :D

So I wouldn't lose trust in your LFS quite yet based on this.

I think they gave you good advice, unless you specifically asked for low cost.

They have not seen your tank, and have to guess at your real needs.
Two MP-10s would not really do it.
Having it around 60% means you have a wide range to adjust up or down as your needs change.
And they will. As you add coral and it grows, you will probably crank up the flow.

i have a 75g and the LFS convinced me i needed twin MP-40's. Bought one and it disturbs my sand. Tried moving it around and it's just too powerful. I have to turn it to about 40%.
Sounds to me like their advice was solid. And by the way, for DC pumps like those I always plan to buy a littler larger and run them less than full speed, they are much quieter and somewhat more efficient, with less wear/tear.

2 mp10s would likely be fine as far as creating enough flow, but that depends on several factors such as rock scaping and type of corals you are trying to grow. Not sure they work with your tank thickness. They have a maximum thickness they work with.

Last edited:
Didn’t you already buy the 2 mp40’s? Those are good pumps. Just keep them and run thematic 40% (or whatever your tank needs). I had both my WAV’s on one side of my tank fairly high up so that it would create a gyre but not stir up the sand.

To add if you are a lazy reefer like Richard Ross :) as we all know the flow drops as the pumps get dirty if you are at 40% think of all the time you can save by just ramping up the pumps % as they get dirty and not have to clean them so often....:D

To add if you are a lazy reefer like Richard Ross :) as we all know the flow drops as the pumps get dirty if you are at 40% think of all the time you can save by just ramping up the pumps % as they get dirty and not have to clean them so often....:D
That’s funny.

If that helps, I run 1 mp40 in my 90g at 70%, but my return is at the other end that helps somewhat with dead spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Having too big a pump is way better than having too small. DC pumps like the MP-40s can be turned way down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. I have a 36x36 cube and two mp40 on the back wall, each side of the center overflow. Because of the tank and rock setup, if I run the pumps more than 30-40 percent, my euphyllia get irritated and shrink because there is too much flow.

I'll not that one of my mp40 is the W model with the rectangular box, not the new controller shape and my other one was manufactured in 2011 and is the newer of the two. Both pumps are still fully functional. I've used just about every kind of power head in my tanks, maintaining customer tanks and working in a reef shop and I'm impressed with my ecotech pumps.

Back