Cali Kid Corals

Chromis’s 90g Acropora tank

The waiting game... a couple Neptune’s wild(?) acros that I’ve been holding onto for 10 months now. One is a brown bonsai with green polyps that I just liked the shape of. It is finally showing a hint of color after all this time. I waited almost as long for the valida to the right if it to come into full color potential, and put them next to each other in the new tank in case something would transfer. I have no idea if there is such thing as transferable blue zooxanthellae or pigment enzymes, but if there is, then colored corals should go next to brown ones! The blue one looks almost the same as 10 months ago (just blah).
bb65afd618bc9e57fec17f8097548bf1.jpg

Then here are two more Neptune wild corals that look pretty good, one is like a red devil Nasuta and the other is like an Aussie highlighter. Both are growing really slowly. The Aussie has a cool blue base but right now it’s covered with new green branching tips so it will need to grow out a ways to see that nice two-tone effect.
35b8881ce6039127ed07155f782795ff.jpg

This is @tankguy ‘s CB purple fusion, it has a crazy contrasting neon green growth ring and lots of PE. It will be interesting to see how it changes as it grows.
5d4fd7ed804596c287322426376ab31d.jpg

OP is the only coral the looks the same in whites or blues...
a95d27d5e655994d58773689a5db05f1.jpeg

Fox Flame grows fast, Fox burnin banana does not :)
352b1e36ee64abcc36cdc50a9d727ca3.jpg

Miyagi tort is getting baked with too much light and the nice neon green went pale. It’s growing like a birdsnest, branches going in random directions and intersecting, maybe it’s strategy is to shade itself everywhere...
eb3f25aee3dbb7acc42b2b6cd59735fd.jpg
bcc3411142bd5073b00e7aadf8e9b4f1.jpg

The wild Aussie look normal and vibrant to me. You got it to encrust and that is a great start. I am on the hand don't want my sps to grow fast because I would have to provide more nutrients and prune more :). For this reason I grow only Aussie sps and keep angels and butterflyfish:)

PC Rainbow (@dswong01 frag swap) is one of few corals I’ve had that didn’t spend a lot of time encrusting before growing vertically... I could swear 2x in size...
225613e62ba0ba87833e15760da86731.jpeg

How much do you like your miyagi tort? Been growing out a piece from the swap in my frag tank, and am ready to put it in display... maybe. I really only have space for one more acro before I start booting things for "cooler" other things... and I already have a cali tort... pretty similar?

How much do you like your miyagi tort? Been growing out a piece from the swap in my frag tank, and am ready to put it in display... maybe. I really only have space for one more acro before I start booting things for "cooler" other things... and I already have a cali tort... pretty similar?

Here's a pic of my miyagi tort. It's nice, but I think there are cooler things. [emoji6]

b4fe92eb5170a19d21292191fded735b.jpg

Funny you ask because I just relegated most of mine to the tank bottom. Partly to make space for “cooler” acros and also because it was getting baked in 300 PAR (the green turned white) and I wanted to try to bring the green back with lower light.

Miyagi tort has a gnarly shape that little fish love to hide in. It would probably hold up to your big tangs.

56075fa943243adc1988a35c992d94ef.jpg

Funny you ask because I just relegated most of mine to the tank bottom. Partly to make space for “cooler” acros and also because it was getting baked in 300 PAR (the green turned white) and I wanted to try to bring the green back with lower light.

Miyagi tort has a gnarly shape that little fish love to hide in. It would probably hold up to your big tangs.

56075fa943243adc1988a35c992d94ef.jpg

Mine grows weird too. Thought it was just mine.

Nice display chromis.....those M.caps are gonna look great underneath your rockwork!
I wanted a bunch of colors intertwined with red, green, purple, orange, starburst orange/yellow cap, and encrusting pink/green, red/blue, and rainbow montis. I may regret the encrusters later since they are harder to remove.
e5786b58f0cf751e413687c00c447275.jpg

I wanted a bunch of colors intertwined with red, green, purple, orange, starburst orange/yellow cap, and encrusting pink/green, red/blue, and rainbow montis. I may regret the encrusters later since they are harder to remove.
e5786b58f0cf751e413687c00c447275.jpg
That’s a lot. You’re making your own rainbow.

@RandyC I didn’t even know WDs could get the dark green hue along with purple. They do seem to get new colors as they grow, it will be interesting to compare again in a few months time! I’m pretty happy with the purple-green contrast even if it always stays that way but would be thrilled to see some orange or pink corallites as it grows out.

Mine grows weird too. Thought it was just mine.
Yea that’s one of the reasons I like miyagi tort, it doesn’t grow in a predictable symmetry like other acroporas. The branches are thick enough and fuse into each other that I think it might survive in Mikes tank. I have other acros with skinny delicate branches that even my chromises will break when I scare them while taking photos from above the tank.

Back