High Tide Aquatics

Possible Meeting site for Frag swap and other events

2manyhobbies

Supporting Member
I did some research on available halls for rent in the east bay. I came across the Bjornson Hall in Oakland. They have a ballroom with a stage. The ballroom is 50' X 50' with an adjacent "dining room" of 20' X 20'. There is also a kitchen with a commercial stove and grill and double ovens, an a large double refrigerator. Tables and chairs are available for use. The hall is also available for frequent scheduled meetings.

The location is 2258 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland with easy access from CA Hwy 13 and I-580. There is also a medium sized parking lot and lots of street parking.

This sounds like it might be a good place to hold the swap if Chabot is not available.

While we are on the subject, if anyone would like to volunteer to be in charge of finding and securing meeting spaces going forward that would be helpful...

Out of curiosity what is the price range the club is looking to limit itself to for events?

I assume the club wants to keep this all in the East Bay (because god forbid people from the East Bay need to pay bridge tolls and spend some time on the freeway like all of us on the peninsula have been doing ... literally since the club started... :D), I only ask because I'm only familiar with places over here, and off the top of my head know a couple possible places in San Bruno... but again if many are not willing to drive...

Also probably got about 8-10 of those 4x2 foot plastic tables they have at Costco from my wife's farmer market days still in my garage, they're not anywhere as big as the ones from Chabot, but 80 square feet of table space still.

No real limit. The more things cost, the more fundraising we need to do, and maybe that leads to haveing less events, but the main limit is people putting in the time and effort to make things happen, not lack of money.

I assume the club wants to keep this all in the East Bay (because god forbid ....
Yes, God has forbidden moving it.
Plus, if you consider people coming from San Jose, Dublin, Walnut creek, Hayward is fairly
central, and rarely more than an hour for anyone.

...Also probably got about 8-10 of those 4x2 foot plastic tables....
I bet we can easily scrounge our own tables. A lot of people have at least one folding table.
Plus tarps for spills and so on.
That should really open up more options.

Curious where the geographic center of the club's membership is, and I mean actually members who are active, not just ones who show up for a frag swap because hey if they're just showing up for a frag swap an extra 15 minutes probably won't kill them.

Plus I would like to add the $5 getting to events surcharge for us poor peninsulians which will go up to $8 in a few years thanks to the lovely vision of bay area voters.

Curious where the geographic center of the club's membership is, and I mean actually members who are active, not just ones who show up for a frag swap because hey if they're just showing up for a frag swap an extra 15 minutes probably won't kill them.

Plus I would like to add the $5 getting to events surcharge for us poor peninsulians which will go up to $8 in a few years thanks to the lovely vision of bay area voters.

Well, this is at least a list of people who bothered to update the map.
:)
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2329301

That bridge toll is gonna hurt me. Cant believe it passed

You still work over on this side of the bay?

And yeah I can believe it passed, because there were next to zero counter arguments (aka commercials) to make counter points to it and every single "for" commercial/ad I saw simply said something along the ideas of "Pass this measure to get more mass transit" with ZERO mention of what it actually did to raise said money. They were banking really hard on the "people who don't read the details" voting block, and I think they hit paydirt.

You still work over on this side of the bay?

And yeah I can believe it passed, because there were next to zero counter arguments (aka commercials) to make counter points to it and every single "for" commercial/ad I saw simply said something along the ideas of "Pass this measure to get more mass transit" with ZERO mention of what it actually did to raise said money. They were banking really hard on the "people who don't read the details" voting block, and I think they hit paydirt.
I'm surprised there weren't more "selfish" voters like me who said no. More mass transit is good, and needed. But $9 for crossing a is (literally) highway robbery, and it shouldn't fall on me to pay for it this way. It wasn't that long ago that it changed to $2. I know that makes me old, and $2 ain't what it used to be, but damn, practically $10 for every car? Where is all that money actually going? You know it isn't being used efficiently. (End rant)

Yeah I could rant on it for a while too, this is another one of those rob Peter to pay Paul type of deals. Similar to sweetened beverage taxes, and cigarette taxes (which I hate smoking with a passion)... but I won't rant on it, since this is hardly the place :D

Back