Neptune Aquatics

Snail and hitchhiker ID

henergizer

Supporting Member
Hello BAR,

I just picked up a couple black foot trochus snails from AC, but I’m a bit confused... they don’t look like a trochus snail at all. They certainly don’t have a black foot and their shells are throwing me off.

I watched the worker pull out the snails from the tank. Unless they accidentally mixed up another customers purchase. Or maybe it’s mislabeled?

9005973c21ac38ad9f9cccbb14bb4d01.jpg

c3ebf656dbb2ce9eb5d75dd8ae5c5fa4.jpg

6a98f729587d074fdd6702bc759b4816.jpg

Also, can anyone ID this little guy? He’s about 3/8”. Maybe some kind of slug? Doesn’t look like any sort of nudibranch

bbedb194fa11238054cccd94d308ce81.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks like a baby sea hare. would be a nice hitchhiker if it was... and those snails definitely dont look like the trochus Ive seen.

Snails are Mexican zebra turbos, which are a great alternative to Trochus.

That second UNID hitchhiker looks like a lettuce nudibranch. Does it have folds on its back?

Thank you all for the help.

I decided to leave the sea hare/nudibranch thing alone, it’s somewhere, but it’s the third time I saw it, so I’m not too worried until I get a positive ID.

It doesn’t have any folds on its back. Maybe it’ll develops later on a when it gets bigger?

As for the snails, I hope AC will take them back. Turbos are great, but 4 is definitely too much for a 20g. Plus I believe turbos are marked cheaper than the trochus..

Broke back the snails to AC, they were definitely turbos. They happily exchanged them for trochus snails.

Found the little guy again and it does look like it has ripples on its back. Hoping it’s a lettuce nudibranch, but we’ll see when it gets bigger

032e5c2311d029cc71883f41f513c19f.jpg

88e918c12cda363acb098f59165c7340.jpg

It's not a lettuce but a tiny slug.. eats algae and super cute behaviors. I had a couple in my tank before and hoped it was my lettuces having babies... but nope. Forgot what it's called but harmless

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Back