Jestersix

Build a Tank Screen Workshop

As luck would have it, after building my single piece large screen it's way to cumbersome to do things in the tank so I am opting to split it into 2 panels. I wound up snapping 2 of my flanged corners (the one with a lip) -- wondering if there might be spare ones from teh workshop wround before I order more?

Screen people - any tips on what to add to tank opening to keep screen corners from going into the water?
Started using screen tops due to addition of goby (thanks @RandyC !). Students cannot keep screen out of the water when moving it off or on - once the corner dips in, half the screen gets wet.
Screen sits in lip of tank frame. Here it is pushed to the side:
Wet-Screen.jpg

Something thin placed diagonally?

The product manager in me have to ask first... under what conditions do the screen edge go into the water? Is it during removal, replacement, etc?

And how large is the screen? Assume it's one piece?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2 screens, each 24” square. There is a center brace. They go in the water when kids take them off and they tip to the back or side or front. When putting them on, it’s usually to the back. I have done it a few times also, so I see how easy it is to do.
upload_2018-9-3_7-10-18.jpeg

2 screens, each 24” square. There is a center brace. They go in the water when kids take them off and they tip to the back or side or front. When putting them on, it’s usually to the back. I have done it a few times also, so I see how easy it is to do.
View attachment 10296
Ok, that helps me better uderstand... in this case... what about adding knobs to both sides of the frame on each screen. This way the screen stays parallel and stable during movement.

Btw. Just thinking that a quick and easy way to test this without ruining your screen might be to use those 3M command strips accessories and attach a hook or clip.

Good idea. I was going to silicone on some random knobs but I have some of those stickies with hooks.

How about these plastic pieces that fits on the sides of the tank?
5b6a83e6a44f2edf67984fc8a59e8e07.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I think that is pretty much what I already have built-in, but yours are a bit wider. I think that is not going to solve it, though. We're dealing with teens and preteens who can be awkward, short, ADHD and not even looking at what they're doing, and will do the task for a few weeks - just long enough to become skilled - then switch to a different task. Actually, I should probably increase the width like you show, add the knobs, and add diagonal strips.
Last week a kid suggested I look into the invisible fence made to keep dogs in the yard and see if it works for fish.

Last week a kid suggested I look into the invisible fence made to keep dogs in the yard and see if it works for fish.
That would be awesome. We just need to figure out how to miniaturize the collars for the fish, and how to train them that leaping out triggers the collar before they do it the first/last time :)

Yeah, so now some plastic hooks are on and we'll see how it goes with tomorrow's class. Hopefully it will be better than today, when the kid who took off the screen to attach the hooks somehow rotated it so it went in the tank deep and fragged the hydnophora. Guess we know something I'll be bringing to the swap. :rolleyes:

Not really yet. Had to reapply one that was on the floor. In hindsight I should have explicitly stated they should remove all salt and dry the frame before attaching. And follow the instruction to hold it for 30 sec. Will check it out with tomorrow AM students.

Grades 7 & 8 together in one class plus special day class added in this year - works great having the full mix because everyone seems to like being helped by 8th graders when needed. They also expanded the class to a second section, which is all 7th graders. I teach regular classes to 8th graders only, so an entire room of 7th is totally different in a fun way.

Back