Jestersix

BAR 2018 Annual Regional Frag Swap

Chabot College Flea Market is on the same day and the website says Free Parking in Lot B

http://www.chabotcollege.edu/studentlife/fleamarket/policies.asp

"Parking: All vehicles are to be parked at the back of the selling space, crosswise to the two parking spaces. This method is designed to allow both you and your neighbor’s maximum selling space. Do not park by just pulling in, as you would normally park. This blocks the view of both yours and your neighbor’s merchandise. One (1) vehicle per vending spot. All other vehicles must be parked in customer parking. Lot B is free parking on Flea Market days only."

upload_2018-9-19_13-13-52.png

Flea Market Dates:
http://www.chabotcollege.edu/studentlife/fleamarket/

Forgive me for asking but then why not charge non members only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because this is the largest fund-raising event for the club each year. It costs a lot to put on, but it also helps fund activities for next year. Remember the club is a non-profit and everything that it "brings in" it spends on free events for members down the road. That's why the financials are posted publicly on a regular basis so everyone knows where the money goes and where it comes from.

Because this is the largest fund-raising event for the club each year. It costs a lot to put on, but it also helps fund activities for next year. Remember the club is a non-profit and everything that it "brings in" it spends on free events for members down the road. That's why the financials are posted publicly on a regular basis so everyone knows where the money goes and where it comes from.
Thanks for explaining.

Is it not worth $20 to you?
That’s not why I ask. Just liked the idea of supporting member perks. As many have said before, and I do agree, supporting members already do get back way more value than what the fees cost. As I have said, just curious.

Don't take Mike's phrasing and abruptness wrong. It's easy to read things into posts when you can't hear inflection and voice. He was, I'm certain, asking a legitimate question that he was concerned about. He doesn't type well with others sometimes. :) However, he will drop everything to help people in this club and has for years -- in person.

Agree, please don’t feel attacked for asking a legitimate question. There aren’t enough emojis to prevent miscommunication via keyboards :)

In fact, every year conscientious well-intentioned new members ask the exact same question and get a similar response.

I think a lot of people feel like this particular question could go either way, and that there are good reasons for either approach. In the end, I think most of us feel like having a bit more funding for the club is great, and well-worth the small extra cost per member.

The Board decided to take this approach of one free and one paid frag swap per year for members.

You’re the president and this is how you respond to a member’s legitimate question? Geez...

I'm not sure what's wrong with one member asking another member a legitimate question in return after answering the other persons prior question?
I've heard multiple opinions on the cost of this swap, you seemed to have one that initially wasn't being clearly expressed, so I questioned you further, and directly, about your opinion of the cost of this event. You then answered my question by saying you were looking for more value from your $30 supporting membership. I don't understand why you then get upset with me. What am I missing here?

I'm not sure what's wrong with one member asking another member a legitimate question in return after answering the other persons prior question?
I've heard multiple opinions on the cost of this swap, you seemed to have one that initially wasn't being clearly expressed, so I questioned you further, and directly, about your opinion of the cost of this event. You then answered my question by saying you were looking for more value from your $30 supporting membership. I don't understand why you then get upset with me. What am I missing here?

Missing a lot apparently.
1. Your understanding of my initial response was incorrect. I said I agree membership is worth it and the coral swap fee question was not a question of worth but just wanting to understand. I said I liked the idea of member perks and reframing it as "looking for more value" is misleading and missing the point (which is that I am not questioning the worth).

2. My first answer to you was a passive response to your question, but then I thought why should I have to repress how this is coming across? Hence the second response.

3. Answering a question with a question does not serve to enlighten/educate the person who is asking, as well as it implies something beyond willingness to simply provide an actual answer. Furthermore, "a member asking a member a question in return" is one thing, but when said member is in a leadership capacity, there is and should be a greater responsibility for that member to provide a more complete answer to the enquiring member.

4. Bruce Spiegelman's answer was a well explained and complete answer which helped me to understand and resolves the inquiry. That is a perfect example of how a committee member responds to a newish member who simply wanted to understand.

Last edited:
724 is the event center in bldg 700. It’s not on the map.

Hi Will,

I am not sure where that is, but is it a room or just open area? Do you know if we will have a projector and audio available like we normally do in Room 722?

I don't have an exact dollar amount. But I think the difference between a member and non-member price should be enough that it may entice non-members to join. At the same time members would be getting a benefit from "their" club.

Back