High Tide Aquatics

BAR 2018 Annual Regional Frag Swap

Question...If I’ve recently defeated ZOA Pox in my tank should I forgo bringing zoas to the swap? Should that also be noted on the frag cups? What about ich? Everyone seems to be fighting it well, but my tank has ich. I feel like people should know right?

Well I am torn on this, on one hand everyone needs to act as if everything is infected with anything, so people need to deal with certain proceedures to keep as many unwanted pests out of the tank, also most people have had some pest at some point and if we kept those people from participating no one would be at the swaps. That said it couldnt hurt to note any issues you are having at the very least it makes someone think twice about dumping water in the tank or not dipping. Now if you currently had zoa pox I would say dont bring them, but presumably you were successful in your treatment so go for it.

That said someone should post (or repost) some common dipping practices in case people dont know what to do

All attendees will receive a $30 gift card for a (future) purchase with purchase of $100 to Bay Bridge Aquarium in Oakland (courtesy of Bay Bridge Aquarium)

Don't forget to register and save $10 off the reg fee.

So I am correct in reading that if I have three frags of home wrecker that I should only bring one?

So confusing.
You can bring all 3 and it's fine, however the minimum qualifications are 3 SEPARATE corals, you can however bring more as long as you bring at least 3 separate corals.

So I am correct in reading that if I have three frags of home wrecker that I should only bring one?

So confusing.
That coral is ultra, right? Each ultra you bring lets you pick 1 coral in the first round. Each 3 bonus corals lets you pick 1 in the first round.
1 ultra coral = 1 pick in first round
3 bonus corals = 1 pick in first round

So if you bring 3 ultras, you get to pick 3 corals before most people. If you bring 1 ultra you get to pick 1 coral before most people. If you bring 1 ultra and 3 bonus, you pick 2 in the first round (1 for the ultra coral, 1 for the 3 bonus corals). If you bring no bonus or ultra, you pick after the bonus round, in the regular rounds, where everyone is taking turns, including people who picked in the bonus round already.

are we still going off the bonus/ultra coral rules that @Kim Pattison posted for the last swap? I pasted it in here

Bonus round rules
1 bonus round ticket for 3 bonus frags can be the 3 entry frags. One ticket per 3 bonus frags over the entry
Example: Cali tort, butt muncher, pink boobies

Bonus coral can repeat 2 per ticket entry up to a total of 5 frags of one type.
Example: 3 tickets for
Cali tort, Cali tort, butt muncher 1 ticket
Cali tort, Cali tort, butt muncher 1 ticket
Cali tort, butt muncher, butt muncher 1 ticket

1 bonus round ticket for 1 ultra frag over the 3 entry frags. One ticket for each ultra frags over the entry
3 regular coral 1 jawbreaker equals 1 ticket
3 regular coral 2 jawbreaker equals 2 tickets
Ultra coral no limit on repeats.

Example 1. 3 bonus corals and 1 ultra gets you 2 tickets.
Example 2. 1 ultra and 3 regular gets you 1 ticket.
Example 3. 3 bonus and 2 ultra gets you 3 tickets
Example 4. 2 ultra and 3 regular gets you 2 tickets
Example 5. 6 bonus corals gets you 2 tickets.

Bonus round is first round. Participants can take up to 2 frag for 2 tickets Bonus round 1 is 4 minutes
bonus round 2 will be all those still with tickets and can take 1 frag for each ticket they have left. Bonus round 2 is 3 minutes

I guess the details are important if you have certain bonus frags. Otherwise, just bring at least 3 different corals, as many frags of each as you want to share and hang out and talk shop with a bunch of nice people you wouldn’t otherwise have met.
A bunch of my students were interested in coming to swap and preparing some little exhibits and an activity for kids but location and weekend sports got in the way.

These last two posts exemplify what I was trying to say in my original post.
Then that's why you ask questions :)

But yeah, the bonus aspect can be confusing, but most of that is due to people getting extra picks for bringing extra corals so the little nuances and rules need to be tweaked from what some of us "regular folk" do.

It is confusing to try to learn how it works by just reading. The best way is to see it in action at your first swap, or to talk about it with someone. If you want, I’m happy to talk to you about it, PM me with your phone number if you want. It really is not that complicated, just a bit hard to visualize if you’ve never been to one.

Is it ok for me to bring some stuff for a freebie table? I have some things from buying Craigslist tanks that I’ll never use.

I have
2.2 lb Red Sea reef foundation ABC+
Some seachem reef buffer, reef builder, and reef advantage (ph,alk,cal) that have bern opened but still good

Maybe some others.

Back