Reef nutrition

CDA 87G

Tank has had corals in it for ~6 months now. Just a quick update on how some of those pieces has done.

OG Mummy Eye. I tried selling this piece as a mini colony for $50 awhile back, but nobody wanted it. Mounted on 4" round and it's outer edge just hit that mark this past week. I have the morphed one as well so will be comparing them once the other one gets larger in size.
2018_10_16_mummy_eye_6months.jpg

Pink Boobies. It really doesn't get any more pink that this and you can pick this piece out from 10' away even in the day.
2018_10_16_pink_boobies_6months.jpg

Tangerine Dreams that was part of the growth competition. Holding for @Flagg37 when he's ready to start a new tank. Mounted on 2.75" disk awhile back.
2018_10_16_flaggs_charlie_6months.jpg

Used to be able to find micromussas pretty easily, but they seems to be harder to find ever since they were reclassifed back into the Acan genus. Only one that I've picked up since the upgrade.
2018_10_16_neptunerainbowacan2_6months.jpg

Rainbow Acan lord. Grew originally from 1 polyp into the left piece. Then it came over with the upgrade. Mounted on 4" disk and about the size of a tennis ball.
2018_10_16_neptune_rainbow_acan_6months.jpg

PC Rainbow. This came from the members swap earlier this year. Giving this sucker a ton of light and flow (branches are fusing together in the high flow).
2018_10_16_pc_rainbow_6months.jpg

Palmer's Blue Mille. Also from the members swap. Love the blues from this piece and being a mille it's not shy with the polyps. Starting to nub out at the base.
2018_10_16_palmers_blue_milli_6months.jpg

I really like how you have dated them. I took a pink boobies from a tank tear own and a year later it has completely changed colors to where you would ask “ what chalice is that ?”

Gotta say that picture of the Palmer's blue doesn't scream out to me as a millepora, the later one kind of does... but hard to tell with all the polyps out. Millepora tended to have overlapping little "crescent" shapes that looks like scales or something.

Damn imageshack for turning into a paywall and deleting all the old photos, found an old post of mine from 10 years back where I have growth picks of my Palmer's Blue... but of course the pics are now just links :(

Been collecting Micromussa lordhowensis recently.

The rainbow that started it all.
2018_11_09_neptune_rainbow_acan.jpg

This single polyp is steadily growing. 4-6 babies at its base currently.
2018_10_31_neptune_rainbowacan02.jpg

2018_11_12_neptune_acans.jpg

If only I could find some Micromussa amakuensis now...

Burying the frag disk in sand is probably somewhat effective, but you could also borrow the bandsaw if you need to carve an encrusting frag off a plug to avoid putting plugs in your tank.

That's not the only aip. If it was, it would be an easy removal process. They're at a decent population in the tank now that berghias are required.

I hope the Berghias work well for you. When I tried them a few months ago, they ate a few aiptasias over a month or so, then apparently fizzled out in my tank. Since they hide all the time so I never saw them, and since I don’t have any known predators in my tank I don’t know why it wasn’t successful.

One issue is I only bought about half as many as recommended by the vendor, but in my 160g tank I though they were either going to make it and reproduce or not, and twice as many would be twice as expensive. If I try them again I’ll buy the full recommended amount in fairness I guess but I’m not too enthusiastic.

I've used them before in the past, which eradicated the aiptasia population. I then sold them afterwards since I ran out of aips for them. I sold more berghias than I brought in which told me that they were doing well and reproducing in the tank. Hoping for similar results this time around.

Reactions: JVU
Ended up losing both blue jaw triggers after they both jumped out on different days. Beautiful fish, but I think I'll have to wait to get a top before I pick up another.

Replaced them with 2 borbonius anthias and four more dispar anthias to add to the two that were already in the tank. Tomini didn't like the new additions and tried to shank them. Here's the more dominant of the two borbs.
2018_12_05_borbonius_anthias.jpg

Tomini tang tried to shank them? :D That's odd they have tended to... no nevermind I just remember an incident way back when and a Tomini I had tried to bully a Naso that was easily twice his size, I guess in the current tank of yellow, purple and kole (which is much bigger) the one I have has been more of a model citizen :D

Picked up a new meter and wand so that I can pull readings whenever the need arises.
2018_12_10_apogee_sensor_box.jpg

New meter is smaller than expected.
2018_12_10_apogee_sensor_size.jpg

How the readings compares to the club meter. Club meter readings in white, new ones in red.
PAR_spsmode_comparo.jpg

Back