High Tide Aquatics

2018 BAR's Swap Bonus/Ultra Coral List

Thats why I have asked above about mine to confirm.

At the members swap you could repeat something up to 5 times, but only once per ticket.

Example: 3 tickets total
Cali tort, Cali tort, butt muncher 1 ticket
Cali tort, Cali tort, butt muncher 1 ticket
Cali tort, butt muncher, butt muncher 1 ticket

They, along with most other zoas, also have the "problem" of being relatively fast growers, so it doesn't take long for them to become very common in an area, regardless of price, and Rastas have been around for a long time. Not saying they're a horrible coral or anything, just there were lots still left on the table which means either people don't care about them, or there were lots of them used as bonus, which to me would suggest they're not as "special" as they used to be.

I don't think bonus should be based on price of the coral, but more on "what do we want to see more of" otherwise everything with a "Jason Fox" tag would be a bonus/ultra coral :D

They, along with most other zoas, also have the "problem" of being relatively fast growers, so it doesn't take long for them to become very common in an area, regardless of price, and Rastas have been around for a long time. Not saying they're a horrible coral or anything, just there were lots still left on the table which means either people don't care about them, or there were lots of them used as bonus, which to me would suggest they're not as "special" as they used to be.

I don't think bonus should be based on price of the coral, but more on "what do we want to see more of" otherwise everything with a "Jason Fox" tag would be a bonus/ultra coral :D

Right -- but here's the problem with Rastas and some similar corals. I have two Rasta colonies that have well over 100 heads. I actually brought as a bonus coral a plug of Rastas with over 20 heads on it. If I chose to cut that one up and just a small part of another colony could dominate the Bonus round. :) Add to that large colonies of BeB's that are the same quick growers and....

To some extent the Bonus corals should absolutely be based on scarcity and difficulty to get.

Right -- but here's the problem with Rastas and some similar corals. I have two Rasta colonies that have well over 100 heads. I actually brought as a bonus coral a plug of Rastas with over 20 heads on it. If I chose to cut that one up and just a small part of another colony could dominate the Bonus round. :) Add to that large colonies of BeB's that are the same quick growers and....

To some extent the Bonus corals should absolutely be based on scarcity and difficulty to get.

If it takes more than 1 or 2 polyps to be a bonus, it probably shouldn’t be on there. Otherwise a 15 head candy cane might end up qualifying. :)

Separately, @Bruce Spiegelman Tubbs Monti Stellata . One of the first corals I latched onto when I started. Also have a frag of the Tyree Aquascene for you but completely forgot about it for yesterday.

If it takes more than 1 or 2 polyps to be a bonus, it probably shouldn’t be on there. Otherwise a 15 head candy cane might end up qualifying. :)

Separately, @Bruce Spiegelman Tubbs Monti Stellata . One of the first corals I latched onto when I started. Also have a frag of the Tyree Aquascene for you but completely forgot about it for yesterday.

Yep. I love Tubbs Stellata. One of my favorite corals because of the growth pattern and colors. Under the right lights the blue glows and the polyps are gold. It's one of those that if Jason Fox came out with it for the first time now it would go for $400.00 a frag. :)

Yep. I love Tubbs Stellata. One of my favorite corals because of the growth pattern and colors. Under the right lights the blue glows and the polyps are gold. It's one of those that if Jason Fox came out with it for the first time now it would go for $400.00 a frag. :)
Man so tempting to make a snide comment... but I won't :D

I just want the people who were working the check in table to note that 3 polyps of RR Pink Diamonds is listed as an ultra. 1 polyp was bonus.

I was turned down 2 bonus tickets for bringing two 4 polyp frags of my pink diamonds.

I still had a great time and met a lot of good people, but I was pissed to start!

I had to make a trade for an ultra Acro to get one bonus ticket, and sold the other frag. It all worked out in the end. I just want them to know they made a mistake.

See you guys next time.

I just want the people who were working the check in table to note that 3 polyps of RR Pink Diamonds is listed as an ultra. 1 polyp was bonus.

I was turned down 2 bonus tickets for bringing two 4 polyp frags of my pink diamonds.

I still had a great time and met a lot of good people, but I was pissed to start!

I had to make a trade for an ultra Acro to get one bonus ticket, and sold the other frag. It all worked out in the end. I just want them to know they made a mistake.

See you guys next time.

Sorry about that. Things get rushed and everyone tends to come to check-in at the same time. Did they refer to a list or did you pull it up on your phone? Or was there another reason given?

Sorry about that. Things get rushed and everyone tends to come to check-in at the same time. Did they refer to a list or did you pull it up on your phone? Or was there another reason given?

I argued a bit and said that 3 was ultra but they kept insisting I needed 3 frags not 3 polyps. I didn’t want to cause a scene, and hold up the line. Again, it all worked out so we are cool.

I remeember the exchange, I think there was confusion in language with perhaps the word bonus ticket got mixed up with bonus coral. So the argument that 3 were a bonus was prehaps thought of 3 were required for a bonus coral by the front desk and not a ticket. So maybe future just change the name of bonus coral to something else? Or don't have a bonus version and an ultra version of the same coral.

I remember because I moved them from the front to the tables then back from the tables to this gentleman

Last edited:
It is strange and in my opinion counter-productive to have 1 polyp be bonus (so 3 would give 1 bonus ticket) and 3 polyps be ultra (so would also give 1 bonus ticket).

The club would be better off with 3 frags of 1 polyp rather than 1 frag of 3 polyps, so why would we encourage the later?

Clearly, RR Pink Diamonds were set up that way for this last swap, so this was an (innocent) mistake. I’m just saying for next time, this approach doesn’t make sense to me, since we are trying to encourage broad propagation of corals.

It is strange and in my opinion counter-productive to have 1 polyp be bonus (so 3 would give 1 bonus ticket) and 3 polyps be ultra (so would also give 1 bonus ticket).

The club would be better off with 3 frags of 1 polyp rather than 1 frag of 3 polyps, so why would we encourage the later?

Clearly, RR Pink Diamonds were set up that way for this last swap, so this was an (innocent) mistake. I’m just saying for next time, this approach doesn’t make sense to me, since we are trying to encourage broad propagation of corals.

Agreed. Great point

Oh hell -- that's an awesome point.

It was 1 polyp of RR pink diamonds for 1 bonus ticket. 3 polyps was for ultra ticket. 3 bonus = 1 ultra. That was the conversion.

We had a more exclusive ultra round previously.

Back