Reef nutrition

Anyone happen to have AT&T Gigafiber?

Was absolutely shocked when I saw that Sonic.net say 1000Mbps is available to me, double check with AT&T since I know Sonic leases their lines and sure enough, 1000Mbps is available. That said, I'm curious about AT&T's pricing, it's $90 unbundled with anything, then it supposedly goes up to $100 after 12 months, they supply the modem, and always have a vague "taxes and fees". Sonic on the other hand is very up front with how much things cost, they rent a modem for $9.50 (can you buy a gigabit modem?), they rent a telephone adapter at $6.50 (apparently you have to use it) and of course that means you have a home phone and now need to pay all the taxes and fees associated with it which for San Francisco tacks on another $13+/month (****ing highway robbery!). Now AT&T allows you to not have phone added on, and I'm wondering if you do that will you still have "taxes and fees" and if so how much.

Hmm, you just made me check and it looks like it's available in my area and at the same price that I'm currently paying for UVerse. Might have to call them up to verify and if that's the case, will be looking at switching. Thanks Mike!

This past week AT&T has been installing Fiber Optics about block away from the house, so I might have to look in to this as well.

When I looked to see if it was available It do not give Fiber as an option, but they are not done yet with the install so I have to wait.

No problem Eric :)

I remember when fiber was starting to roll out I'd read about people saying tags were put on their doors to let them know it's coming/there... now it's like I live in a neighborhood where AT&T offered no more than 6Mbps as little as 2 years ago (one reason I switched to Comcast), now whammo 1000Mbps and no mention of "hey we have wicked fast internet for you yo!"

I was actually just checking for my parents when I noticed they had a bill for 6Mbps internet + phone for $60+ and wanted to check if there was a cheaper rate or something, they're too old to need the internet, but their phone is great. :D

I have ATT fiber. But I am only paying for 100Mbit. I have no need for Gbit.
Definitely fast, low latency, reliable. Much better than comcast.

But : When I talked to them, they promised to waive the setup fees. They lied.

I have it bundled with Phone. (That goes through modem/fiber)

I’ve got AT&T Gigabit bundled with U-Verse TV and it works really well! No cutting in and out. Customer service is abysmally painful, but that’s the norm. No modem fees or surcharges on the internet part (maybe it was part of the promo when I got it installed, but don’t remember)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been running Comcast gigspeed for a few months now and I’m loving it. Download speed is noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I used to have the 40mb hsi under att paying $60 a month cause i was out of contract and they didnt have any better offers for existing customers. I was about to cancel it and reopen new account to get a better contract deal until customer service said fiber line 1gb was available for $80 a month. I was able to bundle it with my wireless account to get additional $10 off making it $70 a month - no equipment rentals. speeds are great. had no lost connection except for one time when the att modem box bricked on me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have Sonic and I have to say it is great. Havn't had any major issues with the service and finally not having crap upload speed (had Comcast previously, great downloads real bad upload speeds) has been a godsend for uploading files. Not to mention download speeds are top notch. I'd have to say if you don't need the upload then running fiber is rather overkill but hey having the fastest is always great no matter what your doing.

Yeah I currently have comcast, not sure how much it actually costs just for internet since it's bundled with TV, but both are $150/month and I'm not going to pay that any more, but wouldn't surprise me if the 150Mbps I have cost almost as much as fiber costs especially if unbundled. Today or tomorrow I need to free up a few hour block so I can have my discussion with Comcast customer service, to find out how much it will cost for just internet, and let it slip what my options are... who knows they may give me a deal. I don't need fiber by any stretch, as 150Mbps is more than fast for what I do, but if it's going to be similarly priced then I'll take the speed boost and kick Comcast to the curb.

That said I like the idea of Sonic, I was with them for more than a decade, back when the started rolling out fiber lines, and unfortunately only those who got it directly from them get for $40/month, because mine would be via AT&T's leased lines I pay twice that and there's virtually no reason for them to run fiber in this neighborhood (I'm actually surprised AT&T is doing it), so I'll be at the mercy of AT&T's almost guaranteed price increases ever year or two.

Ok, I’ll weigh in. They don’t offer gigabit service where I am (it’s a couple blocks over), but I could get up to 400Mb/sec without fiber (just cable). When we moved I first went with a company I’d never heard of (century link) because it was a little cheaper, it didn’t have a yearly contract, and my only other option was Comcast (who we’d had a bad ordeal with previously). I signed up for their 80Mb service and I know you usually don’t get the full speed but I was averaging 9Mb/sec. and service would drop for hours at a time throughout the day.

We switched to comcast and got their 150Mb/sec service. It’s plenty fast for what we need but they have a 1TB download limit that we seem to regularly hit (we stream multiple devices quite a bit). If we did have gigabit service it would probably only make this worse.

I have Sonic. I talked to the CEO, their gigabit fiber lines are not leased. Their old DSL lines were, but I believe they piggy backed off of all the permits that AT&T pulled (meaning they didn't have to do work, just copied them and got cleared easily since AT&T just got cleared).

So the new Sonic are not leased, they have promised to uphold net neutrality no matter what laws say, and they will never monitor your usage (unlike comcast, at&t, and such). If they ever did, it would probably be announced and most likely because the law requires them to.

Sonic is incredible. Not only is the speed and performance great, but I really like the way the company runs. Good people at the top of an organization that we have transparency into is probably the best sign of a potential great long-term success.

Yeah I don't regularly come that
I have Sonic. I talked to the CEO, their gigabit fiber lines are not leased. Their old DSL lines were, but I believe they piggy backed off of all the permits that AT&T pulled (meaning they didn't have to do work, just copied them and got cleared easily since AT&T just got cleared).
That's the thing... THEIR fiber is not leased, yes they run their own fiber. However running fiber is expensive as all hell, so a vast majority of their customer base is via AT&T's Uverse, including Gigapower. THEIR fiber is actually really cheap in comparison, I recall it was like $40 or 50/month or something insanely low, when they lease through AT&T it's all AT&T lines at AT&T pricing*

Unfortunately Sonic doesn't have THEIR fiber in my area, and quite honestly probably never plans on doing it if they can simply lease AT&T stuff to do the same thing.
Sonic is incredible. Not only is the speed and performance great, but I really like the way the company runs. Good people at the top of an organization that we have transparency into is probably the best sign of a potential great long-term success.
I don't deny Sonic is great, I stuck with them for more than a decade back in the 6Mbps DSL days, waiting for them to do more, unfortunately they never did. Now I have the chance, and Sonic does something that really pisses me off, they bundle everything with voice, which means 1) you rent their ATA $6.50/month, 2) You are now subject to all the federal, state and local taxes that comes with a phone line which for San Francisco is just over $13/month, and this is not something they will budge on at all, they claim this is done to make their practices "easier" for all, they also claim reduces cost which I don't get because their base price is identical to AT&T (for my neighborhood) so the addition of the phone adds about $20 to the price, then they also lease their fiber gateway which adds another $9.50 a month which AT&T gives for free, so at the end of the day sticking with Sonic will end up costing me $30 more per month (33% increase over AT&T). Now I like them for their policies and all, but the forcing of a voice line really is the breaking point, I already get charged all those fed/state/local taxes on my cell phone, I refuse to be taxed twice.

Back