Reef nutrition

The Crown Jewel

Many years ago I learned of BAR; while visiting the Cal Academy at their temporay location on Howard St in SF, it cought my eye a sign stating some corals donated by BAR. I had read on the big forum (RC had a BAR sub-forum wich later merged into the greater SF bay) about DBTC.
It wasn’t plain”free coral” something else was involved and I believe that extra is what got me into signing up for BAR.
It was my understanding that there was something else from the human side involved into being part or participant of DBTC; I guess it was a moral obligation towards others and towards oneself; I mean free coral is cool, right? But What if I just happen to kill it due to lack of knowledge, husbandry or just negligence? Feee coral again, anyone?
It was a simple moral obligation (that I understood) to care as a recipient and as a generous person in the case of the individual starting/expanding a DBTC. Such commitment allowed me to learn more and more about the hobby, how to care and provide a proper home for sea creatures and to steer away from the hard to keep living things untill I felt confident enough to give it a try.
Many of us are a simple avatar, a user-name but I have through BAR, put faces on those avatars and made friendships along the way and through the years.
Now I’ve fully returned to this wonderful hobby; when I shutdown the last tank I had in mind I could never be back in the game but a part of me kept silently in the hobby; from time to time I’d check BAR or RC, just not logged in. Built a stand or two, mainly for BAR people; visited a couple members and saw their beautiful tanks and really missed having a tank.
I express my gratitude to BAR and those whom have helped me in any way to be in the hobby.
I’ve browsed through some of the old DBTC threads and noticed it’s a bit dormant; trying to jump-start some of the old chains that I posted a few years back but cannot find them; maybe they are on an old server/archive?
I noticed several of you guys are very generous and straight request of paying-it-forward is the only thing asked in order to receive X coral or piece of equipment or when someone needs a hand moving a glass cube-ish thing; no strings attached; this club is beyond awesome.
I wonder many times when someone offers a piece of coral, Why is it not offered under DBTC? I mean if it’s offered to supporting memebers, DBTC is for supporting members plus there's the great opportunity to keep track of how your coral frag grows and expands among the club; being xenia, gsp, colt, ugly brown zoas, purple monster or home wrecker!
Let’s bring DBTC to what it is for BAR, the Crown Jewel.

Glad that DBTC caught your attention way back then.

BAR had become concerned about reefers falling into a “me me me” mindset. We felt that it drew us away from our club mission to promote, foster, and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life.

DBTC was one of the ways we helped the club build and strengthen community in service to others and mission over self interest.

DBTC and other efforts took active support and promotion to be successful. Glad that you and others have taken notice.

Being a rookie, I only have low end corrals to offer. I assume they are not DBTC worthy?

My honest opinion, aiptasia, majanos and the ultimate craigslist find bubble algae/valonia? I wouldn't DBTC
Many of us start out with basic corals; perhaps as testing grounds and as we've progressed, move onto a bit more challenging corals, maybe some anemones. Hitting the sweet spot on "mastering" LPS and the pinnacle of the hobby; SPS. It's a gradual process, many hurdles; sometimes heavy set-backs.

BTW, I will contact you and @tankguy for the duncan coral... drum roll... DBTC

Yep, coming back after all these years away from the forum, it was something that I truly missed. Tossed a bunch of DBTC up while I was still active back then, but then when I came back, there was a total lack of activity on it. On top of it, many of the old chains never got transferred over or were lost along the way.

I did DBTC some stuff up this time around when I started again in hopes that there were others who would follow suit, but not many did.

My only concern about dbtc is how people are in the hobby and gone the next. There a handful of people who are the hobby long term cause then love it. I fall under the last. Had to get out after the divorce but once I got resettled I was able to get back.

I agree the time is right for a DBTC revival as Mario @xcaret elegantly put it. We discussed yesterday, and as Mark @rygh mentioned there are a few issues that need to be sorted out.

In addition to the club culture issues being discussed here, there are IT issues with the current DBTC tracking mechanism that need work.

As Eric @Ibn mentioned, it is frustrating to have the chains on the website not working correctly or even lost completely, and this makes people less inclined to participate.

Mike @Coral reefer volunteered to try to spear-head getting this working again with of course the critical IT help needed.

I noticed Liz @Chromis just posted a few new amazing DBTC’s!

I had problems posting photos and it took a while to get the DBTCs but it worked eventually.

I’m hoping to eventually be as generous as @Ibn and others have been with DBTCs.

My only concern about dbtc is how people are in the hobby and gone the next. There a handful of people who are the hobby long term cause then love it. I fall under the last. Had to get out after the divorce but once I got resettled I was able to get back.
This is part of how I try to choose who to pass frags to when they are more important to me.

Back when I walked up hill to school and back home in 18 inches of snow, we had DBTC threads where the giver would put up some requirements for their piece if they felt their piece was "worth it", something like "must have stable tank over XXX time period" "need to show off tank thread" something. Granted not everyone needed that, and there even was (somewhat jokingly) DBTC-X which were almost guaranteed to have some requirements like those.

Back