Cali Kid Corals

Chromis’s 90g Acropora tank

Haha, nope! Peter Dinh stopped by recently with a camera and took some pics of the corals at Neptune. Robert posted that pic that Peter took. It just came in on this last order and I've been meaning to get over there to take a look at it.
I'd be interested in splitting that one depending on size/price. I assume it's out of my range.

Rule of coral sales, the bluer the lights are that the photo is taken under, the more expensive the coral is going to be :D

Cause we only look at them with those lights all the time :) it's really too a point where you wonder you mean I can only see the red under UV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cause we only look at them with those lights all the time :) it's really too a point where you wonder you mean I can only see the red under UV?
Yeah, I feel that way with a lot of macro photography, ignoring the blue/uv lights even, by definition it takes a picture at a distance that I can not focus on (unless you're "lucky" enough to be nearsighted) , so a lot of the detail that is there simply gets "smeared" a big goo because of the limited resolution of our eye.

I'd be interested in splitting that one depending on size/price. I assume it's out of my range.
It was $150 at Neptune’s, but a size that could probably be split in two (with skillful use of a bandsaw and some luck that it didn’t STN afterward). I will wait to see if it makes its way into the $80 bin, if it isn’t sold out right away.

That is just plain gorgeous coloration; wonder what that would look like under Radium bulbs.
Pricey?

I remember seeing that chalice at RAP. If you're gonna go that route, Neptune also brought this one in.

45805253_2243232592572855_2999520716174393344_n.jpg

Years ago I had in mind to grow some corals exclusively for DBTC; I’m no fan of fancy names nor lineage that shoots the $ sky high so I used to re-name some things like the TReWaMe thing, Azul Cielito Lindo and I can’t recall what else. I’ve noticed @Chromis jump-started DBTC in a nice way!

Nope, not that pricey tbh. There are 4 frags in the store. The picture looks better than the actual piece, so I skipped out on it. Picked up 3 rainbow acan frags instead.

I finally got around to trimming the red planet where it was growing toward the Spainbow and Garf. I used bone cutters, but there has to be a better way for scraping encrusting corals. Anyone have a technique they care to share?

Clearly I planted the acros too close together, but it looks weird when you are in the frag stage to space everything by 8”. And I wouldn’t be able to pick so many corals in...

They did have some nice acans.

Picked up these three.
1619602083601.png

I'm also interested in the micromussa that he has in one of his display tanks, which doesn't sound like he wants to sell...yet.

For getting encrusting corals off, use a shark exacto knife or a scalpel. You should be able to get underneath the encrusting layer by cutting into the topmost part of the rock.

Last edited:
That middle one, from which frag tank at Neptune's? I'll be going south in a week or two and might stop at the candy store...

Picked up these three.
2018_11_12_neptune_acans.jpg

I'm also interested in the micromussa that he has in one of his display tanks, which doesn't sound like he wants to sell...yet.

For getting encrusting corals off, use a shark exacto knife or a scalpel. You should be able to get underneath the encrusting layer by cutting into the topmost part of the rock.

PC Rainbow between May and Nov. I’m seeing a similar growth pattern as red planet where once the branches get longer the white tips expand to white on the support structures (branch “crotches” as they say in tree pruning).
c38604d27cbbd5cd4d8be8ca782916f6.jpg

Experimenting with a brown filter on the iPhone:
afd8b7e8ccec32d6e2de1081fef5f636.jpg

d63efe6b12a70a3a8b61866f01da853b.jpg

That middle one, from which frag tank at Neptune's? I'll be going south in a week or two and might stop at the candy store...

Left and middle are from the same tank. The one in the back raceway with the SPS marked with ASK.

Brown filter looks good!

Back