Reef nutrition

Skimmer Raiser Option

Marine pure crumbles pretty easily, I personally wouldn't use it as a stand. If you want a diy option, you can grab a piece of 1/2" acrylic from the scrap bin that is roughly the correct size at Tap Plastics for $1 and they sell 1/4", 1/2" and 1" acrylic cubes you can use for feet. Stack cubes as needed. Use Weldon 4 or 16 to put together. Shouldn't cost you more than $10.

Photo%20May%2010%2C%203%2018%2035%20PM.jpg

Photo%20May%2011%2C%203%2040%2000%20PM.jpg

Last edited:
Used a plate to raise my vertex 150 skimmer on the 47G. Did well, but it does tend to crumble. By the time that I moved it over to the 87G, one corner of the plate had sheared off.

That's what I use actually. My "temporary sump" has a skimmer in a plastic bin. The bin sits on top of a lump of marine pure, the skimmer sits inside of it. The skimmer is actually again raised inside the bin, but what I did is I took some 1" PVC pipe that I had laying around, then cut it and glued them side by side like a raft.

You can also buy 3 or 4 inch (or whatever) PVC pipe for pretty cheap, and cut it to the height you want, then glue 4 of them together like 4 pillars and put the skimmer on that. I've done that too. I drilled holes in the colums to prevent stagnant water, but I don't think that's particularly necessary.

I've also used scrap acrylic to make a bench for a skimmer.

My 150 comes today. my sump compartment is 10" high (although trigger says 9"). What is the ideal height for the Vertex? My skimmer stand is about 1 1/4 inches high

Marine pure crumbles pretty easily, I personally wouldn't use it as a stand. If you want a diy option, you can grab a piece of 1/2" acrylic from the scrap bin that is roughly the correct size at Tap Plastics for $1 and they sell 1/4", 1/2" and 1" acrylic cubes you can use for feet. Stack cubes as needed. Use Weldon 4 or 16 to put together. Shouldn't cost you more than $10.

Photo%20May%2010%2C%203%2018%2035%20PM.jpg

Photo%20May%2011%2C%203%2040%2000%20PM.jpg
that looks much better than my PVC/egg crate stand. The weight of the skimmer holds it down?

Back