Cali Kid Corals

Chromis’s 90g Acropora tank

Tonight the Tgiving craziness cleared up and I noticed my Kessils were not turning off on time and since the last time I played with them in manual mode was Tues, I think they might have been stuck on 3 days. They are set to go back from manual to program after 10 mins. So far the only casualty is one of my blue acros, I had recently moved and fragged it so it was probably more vulnerable. Really mad at myself for leaving things to chance (knowing how janky Kessil software is) and not ensuring the lights were switched back into program mode.

I’ll take a photo tomorrow when the lights come back on (when they’re supposed to).

My sol blues stuck on recently. Wife noticed it was after 11pm and lights were still on and alerted me. No clue why they did it. Hasn't to fiddle with the power and data cord ports and then they went off.

@Chromis so the t5’s cycled like normal but the AP700 got stuck on the manual program. That’s too bad. I wonder if leaving them off or lower would be beneficial or make things worse.

Yes, thanks for reminding me the T5s at least were on a regular reliable lamp timer and so the corals were only getting 65% of the peak lighting overnight. Still... hoping there isn’t any more fallout. So far the ARC fireworks looks a little pale at the tips and one of the two homewrecker nubs looks unhappy (polyps are out but look deflated) but that’s it. My fish looked really messed up yesterday (mostly hiding) but I attributed that to irregular holiday feedings.

The weird thing is one of the branches went white on the second blue acro mini-colony I hadn’t fragged. The third blue mini-colony is ok, and both frags turned white. Either this acro is sensitive to light, or was sending chemical signals to the other like-colonies...

471d9153c32159cdfd2f6b82d889966f.jpg
ec434d856737d9b4d686810a0c3bcbd3.jpg

af17fce934bfe9de2f44e4ad2afe3c72.jpg

If that acro is from anathema, I don’t believe it to be sensitive to light; his colony is under 400w MH and LED
He did have an issue where the lights were running 24/7 but it looks great, recovered from that issue.

Actually I looked more closely and the red-polyp blue acro was growing into the back of the second colony. So could be another sting related victim.

Some acros are more sensitive to types of changes - miyagi tort is pretty hardy but the most sensitive IME to temp increases. I was wondering if the blue acro was more sensitive to a sudden increase in photoperiod. IME it’s not sensitive to temp like miyagi tort.

Actually I looked more closely and the red-polyp blue acro was growing into the back of the second colony. So could be another sting related victim.

Some acros are more sensitive to types of changes - miyagi tort is pretty hardy but the most sensitive IME to temp increases. I was wondering if the blue acro was more sensitive to a sudden increase in photoperiod. IME it’s not sensitive to temp like miyagi tort.

Hopefully @anathema can chime in on that particular coral; I’m not sure of the length of time of the photo period on his tank.

I like the way you have the acros on the flat shelf; when I had a tank at home, I got a nice huge piece of shelf rock from Boun, when trying to set it in the tank to later fix it in place, it was too big for the 18” of space between front and back; I had to trim it back but used a hammer and a wood chisel... did break it but not the way I had in mind. My idea was similar to yours, flat and acros.

Two weeks later, I’m assessing the fallout of the Kessil light incident. Lost one of my two homewreckers and two of my three blue acros. I was super lucky to learn my lesson about Kessil light software only to lose some of my redundant acros.

I changed one T5 blue plus to actinic today, and lowered their time on to 3 hours per day until it looks like acros are tolerating it ok. I didn’t like the hue of the blue plus (too green) and am testing if more actinic brings more color out of certain corals (Walt Disney).

Two weeks later, I’m assessing the fallout of the Kessil light incident. Lost one of my two homewreckers and two of my three blue acros. I was super lucky to learn my lesson about Kessil light software only to lose some of my redundant acros.

I changed one T5 blue plus to actinic today, and lowered their time on to 3 hours per day until it looks like acros are tolerating it ok. I didn’t like the hue of the blue plus (too green) and am testing if more actinic brings more color out of certain corals (Walt Disney).

Is there anything in the kessil software that has a manual override timer? On Radions, there is an option for a timer so that after a specified amount of time after manually operating the light settings it will go back to the scheduled settings. I have mine set to revert back after an hour.

My AP700s are running the latest FW, I checked it was the latest when I first got them and again after the incident. I’m running them on house WiFi. I tried running them as their own WiFi access point before and they had some bugs then too, like switching to an unauthorized all-blue mode for a minute before switching to the next set point. One of the two lights will also switch to the next set program point way ahead of the other.

I guess I’ll give them a call, I am noticing the all-blue mode lasted 25 mins yesterday (and didn’t correlate with my program in any way) so I will have to start watching the tank to see if it happens the same time every day, etc so I can give a better problem report to Kessil.

The losses from the Kessil incident seem to be contained, alk drifted up to 10 dkH since corals were probably shocked and not growing as much, so I’ve had to adjust and it’s back to 9. Will let it float back down to 8 dkH where I like to keep it.

Unknown wild coral from Neptune is getting a nice base color along with red polyps:
b82e98c6af69ddc6a2f52fd8c06a2d02.jpg

L-to-R a RR brownie that is coloring up, PC Rainbow, CB Jawbreaker, CB purple fusion (needs to be moved due to interference):
5757556228234c74bb973867e5f605e9.jpg

The surviving HW (phew):
f1f35717e999ef1577a437096ccb956e.jpg

Maybe a shortcake (from @anathema, fragswap)
e37686cd00ed56c54e2370a1e94f20fb.jpg

Corals growing into each other :(
d0461b9b4a096e34fcc2d5da89f84a88.jpg

Fox flame: I’m keeping mine in the brightest lighting in my tank against all advice but I think it looks better with more neon highlights and thicker branches:
5ef5ebba14047baa4ca4201c76fb163c.jpg

The monti cluster (it started with @MolaMola E=MC2 experiment) - the red one can outgrow anything and has had to be cut to give the orange, green and purple a chance to grow:
3b3c857daa9aec44868f1d2aab80578b.jpg

77a79d81a17cd8849fcded907e70761e.jpg

Chromises are peaceful when well fed :)

7fe2bfc0b51adf23ecd6141c954557a9.jpg

After all this time, utter chaos and eagle eye are still favorites of mine.

ca9407ecea1f06c88d0086fe38259ba0.jpg

So are clownfish.

30bd980a9b4f5c90f0533ee9f4b21a35.jpg
The orange digitata refuses to surrender.

a8d0edc1831df2441e4acdadb66fbe84.jpg

Is there a nicer colored urchin than red tuxedo urchin?

Back