Kessil

Varios-8 or Vectra L1 or ???

I can hear my ro/di booster pump in the house when it’s running in the garage. If the Mag24 is fairly loud, it might defeat some of the purpose of having the sump in the garage.
Have you tried moving it around? They work by vibrating, so depending what you sit it in/attach it to it can create a lot of noise. I suggest hanging it from something with like bungee cords or zip ties or shoelaces so it won't transmit the vibrations to anything nearly as much. The pump itself (aquatec 8800?) is not too bad if you get it right.

Hmmm. The Mag 24 could work actually. It’s a submersible pump, right? I’m not sure I’m ready to switch to an external pump right now, although they do seem to have some good performance.
I'd give it a shot just to see what difference it makes, if any (I think you'll find it will). I think I have a 18 or something you could try as well. See how the noise actually sounds in your setup. I do agree your main problem is the part inside the overflow box. I also agree there's not much of an easy fix there.
To be honest, I don't think 2x volume turnover is a real problem. Would 3x be better? Yeah maybe. I guess. You do want some flow in your refugium, but could always use a powerhead if needed. Imo minimum flow through sump is equal to the volume you are feeding through your skimmer.

I like higher flow in my sump. With low flow, not much waste is getting removed from the display and processed by the biological and mechanical filters in the sump. I use the Fluval SP line of pumps. They are AC (less to break), not too loud (I have them under my display in the cabinet), Cost much less than DC pumps, and can move a lot of water. You probably want the SP-6. I use two SP-4 on my 230 gallon display. I also use a SP-4 on my LifeReef Skimmer. I only need one type of backup pump.

I've turned the Mag 24 only once since I received it, to mix some salt; didn't seem loud but is way too much of a sw mixing pump. Used in-sump, you can add some rubber pads and at the output, use some vynil hose, that reduces vibration noise transmitted by rigid PVC.

I've turned the Mag 24 only once since I received it, to mix some salt; didn't seem loud but is way too much of a sw mixing pump. Used in-sump, you can add some rubber pads and at the output, use some vynil hose, that reduces vibration noise transmitted by rigid PVC.
I’d love to try it out if we can figure out a way to meet up. Right now I don’t think I’m getting enough flow to keep up with my skimmer.

I have to go to Santa Clara to pick a co2 tank, still waiting for a call that is ready since the tank had to be re certified
We could meet at Neptune.

Back