Kessil

Help me design a Red Sea Reefer 350 Sump

Hello,

Will probably be picking up a red sea reefer 350 and I had some questions around the stock sump

I anticipate life getting pretty busy down the line so ideally would like to keep maintenance as low as possible and minimize complicated setup.

Could I go with something as simple as a return pump, heater + oversized skimmer?

I've always thought that I wanted to go with a refugium, but not sure the stock sump has much room for that

If you oversize your skimmer it won't really work well. Unless you have a ton of fish and feed a lot. Get the right sized one and clean it once or twice a week

If you oversize your skimmer it won't really work well. Unless you have a ton of fish and feed a lot. Get the right sized one and clean it once or twice a week
He's right.

I have an oversized Skimmer and even with a high fish load I still struggle. I ended up running my Skimmer at night only or else it doesn't pull enough out to keep the foam column stable and flow into the cup.

You need to find a way to do nutrient export. Either water changes, bio-pellet, carbon dosing, marco algae etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So it seems just a skimmer isn't enough for nutrient export?

Don't know if there's enough room for skimmer + Fuge in the reefer 350 sump...Seems like the fuge might be too small

You can convert you stock ATO tank into a fuge and put another ATO container on the dry side. I have the 525xl and I'm using both the ATO + half of the sump as fuge (2 fuges)

+1 on oversizing your skimmer will result in annoying inconsistent skimming

Back