Kessil

Runny BSI Insta-Cure IC-Gel

JVU

President
BOD
I just opened and used a new tube of the BSI Insta-Cure IC-Gel and was caught off-guard when the first bit of glue that came out was very runny and ran over my fingers and part of the coral I was holding upside down to glue the base. Very frustrating mainly because the part of the SPS coral with superglue on the polyps will die.

I mashed the tube back and forth to mix it up, and then squeezed out some more runny glue on to a paper towel until it got back to normal gel consistency (only had to waste a little). Now it seems fine.

Not sure if it is a formulation change that allows some to be runny at first, or maybe this one was sitting around for a long time before use (I bought it from BAR last year). Anyway my suggestion to everyone is to try out new tubes into some paper towel first before using on coral and squeeze out/mix until it is back to gel consistency.

Never had it happen until the last year or two. I think they changed something. I now always mix the tube up as best I can before opening. I’ve had the sameness issue with glue on corals and had it survive. Seems like flesh doesn’t want the glue to stick long term.

It has happened to me, very odd but happens, bad when your fingers get glued instantly.
To deal with that issue, some cooking oil rubbed on the skin until it separates the afected areas.

I meant to post about this a month or so ago. I had the same issue (Mike and I had discussed it a few times) with runny Gel. Then I had one that was runny and when it hit my fingers it burned. That was kind of my last straw and I decided to ask them directly what the issue was. I expected denial, etc, but instead they put me on with their senior director of sales and he was aware of all of it. They had changed their formulation last year (I don't remember the reason he gave me) and the runny gel problem was known to them. They then a few months ago changed it again to try and correct this issue and they started getting reports of it burning customers like it did me (something with the fast drying accelerant.) So they decided to move the manufacture to a different company and change back to the older formulation that they could do there. He frankly told me he wouldn't buy any till it had moved, and tthat as soon as the new stuff was in he would send me some for free. Well, I got the box of free glue (including a couple of huge 50g packages) last week and it's back to normal and perhaps even better.

Just bought a tube from Neptune’s last night. Didn’t have this issue. Maybe just older tubes that have sat for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bought a tube from Neptune’s last night. Didn’t have this issue. Maybe just older tubes that have sat for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the older tubes that were a different formulation. Ev erything that has gone out since January should be fine is my understanding.

Never had it happen until the last year or two. I think they changed something. I now always mix the tube up as best I can before opening. I’ve had the sameness issue with glue on corals and had it survive. Seems like flesh doesn’t want the glue to stick long term.
Update- As Mike said was his experience, the coral I spilled some glue on did fine. 80% of the part I thought was going to die came back within a couple days, like it just shed the glue off. The other 20% did die off but is already filling back in.

Another update- This tube of glue that I mashed back and forth to mix developed 2 tiny pinhole leaks in the body of the metal tube, so now it sometimes leaks a tiny bit when I use it. I just wrap it in paper towel now but the first couple times I used it it got on my hands without me realizing what was going on. Just a word of caution to not mix it too much I guess.

Back