Cali Kid Corals

How often do you measure Alkalinity?

How often do you measure Alkalinity?

• Total voters
I can not not get in to this too much as it is still in Beta Testing and things can change, but there is a drop down with a few different options of how many tests a day you are wanting to do with the minimum being 4 tests (4 Alk and 2 Ca/Mg) and once you choose how many tests a day and it automatically calculates when each of test will be performed.

The Trident has already saved me. When I was testing 4 times a day and this is what I will go back to after I dial in the Ca reactor. and I saw that my ALK was declining. After seeing this I found that my Ca pump stopped working so I was not adding any more Alk in to the tank and the corals were absorbing this in the water. If I did not have the Trident I might not have seen this for a week or two when I used to test my Alk.
If you’re able to comment, can you say what kind of a daily alk swing you get throughout the day (without any compensation from your carx)?

When re-adjusting my Calcium Reactor (or autodoser previously) I would test once a day or every few days, and then weekly, and then bi-weekly, and then monthly. Once everything is stabilized, once a month.

sAmQZoe.png

If you’re able to comment, can you say what kind of a daily alk swing you get throughout the day (without any compensation from your carx)?

I have not shut off my reactor to see what the consumption is, but I am having an algae outbreak battle right now so I do not have many corals in my main tank at this time so my Alk consumption is very low and have had the fun of tuning in my Ca reactor and learning what changes I do to the reactor and how it effects the ALK.

Randomly/monthly.
But in some ways, continuously via PH.
Trends in the graph are not hard to see, and usually caused by an Alk change.

When nothing’s changed, about once a week. When something’s changed, every 2-3 days until alk stabilizes again, then back to weekly.

So I will update mine by saying "Not enough"

As mentioned in my tank thread, my Alk doser stopped after a power outage, and I did not notice.
Alk was around 5.
The PH did drop, but it swings a lot. There is no way to put an alarm on an "average" value.

On a similar note, I had to swap out one of my Masterflex pumps, and the replacement had the Auto-Start feature disabled. So when we get power outages at our factory, or I do maintenance, it didn't turn back on. First, I thought it didn't have it, but then realized I could enable it. Anyways, Alk dropped to 5 also, but enabled Auto-start should alleviate that problem.

I'll probably wait and hoping for BRS to sell the Alkatronic since I have points and use their loyalty rewards the most. They just received a test unit and I'm sure they will hop on the bandwagon.

I'll probably wait and hoping for BRS to sell the Alkatronic since I have points and use their loyalty rewards the most. They just received a test unit and I'm sure they will hop on the bandwagon.

Ah yes, the Alk meters...
  • Coralvue Alkatronic
  • GHL KH director
  • Neptune Trident
  • Pacific Sun Kore
  • Minstream
  • Reef Kinetics reefbot
  • DIY
Which to buy???

On paper, Neptune should win. Apex integration and it also gives you Mg + Calcium.
But we shall see.

I think I will wait until there is real info on reliability and monthly cost.
Which may be a while...

• Coralvue Alkatronic
  • GHL KH director
  • Neptune Trident
  • Pacific Sun Kore
  • Minstream
  • Reef Kinetics reefbot
  • DIY
Which to buy???

On paper, Neptune should win. Apex integration and it also gives you Mg + Calcium.
But we shall see.

I think I will wait until there is real info on reliability and monthly cost.
Which may be a while...

Focustronic alkatronic *
Coralvue is just a distributor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They also released a doser that works with alkatronic. So when your alkatronic tests and it is lower than your set number. It will dose the correct amount of solution to keep stable.

For example. If you run triton it will auto dose the four part based off how much alk is missing. For a stable system like this
a8811210a5e5cad4ea5644d395195bd8.jpg

d5ab25ff8b2c828b30336e2de82f7602.jpg

Last edited:
  • Coralvue Alkatronic
  • GHL KH director
  • Neptune Trident
  • Pacific Sun Kore
  • Minstream
  • Reef Kinetics reefbot
  • DIY

Also the cheapest one KH Guardian, which Coralvue also distributes. I confused it from GHL KH Director at first.

Both Alkatronic and KH Guardian both integrate with Apex, and I have the old classic so forget the Trident. KH Guardian seems to be a good deal, however the least amount of tests is 4 times per day. I would only want once or twice a day.

Also the cheapest one KH Guardian, which Coralvue also distributes. I confused it from GHL KH Director at first.

Both Alkatronic and KH Guardian both integrate with Apex, and I have the old classic so forget the Trident. KH Guardian seems to be a good deal, however the least amount of tests is 4 times per day. I would only want once or twice a day.

Least amount is 2 times a day for alkatronic. Downside is you can not choose when the times are.

Older models are also extremely noisey. Which I think was fixed with quiet heads or backing off the screws a quarter turn.

Back