Cali Kid Corals

Coral reefer’s 360 gal system. 225 display and frag tanks

Awww how cute... just hope you only have clean microfiber cloths near by... "oh hey daddy this rough cloth should work too *scratch scratch scratch* " :D

BTW something wrong with your tank? What's with the clamp across it?

Silicon was coming off from the back of the cross brace. Going to add a new piece of glass on top of the back wall and connected to the cross brace.

Not too worried. Have everything ready to go, but it will make the lids I’ve been using not fit the same so I’ve been procrastinating. Clamp is holding it tight for now. Guess I should get new lids made. Wonder if the ones I have could just be cut down...

F1396E6A-377F-4155-B096-12A1ECA6AC9E.jpeg
3162876C-2F14-4164-B0FA-680B92809058.jpeg
BBBF1499-221D-4E80-B7A5-4CDAA4EDB251.jpeg

New coral
Torch tower
Palmers blue and red dragon. Both growing well in my opinion.

Nice little Euphyllia tower you got going on there.

I got that fungia for you too, it's a small one (half dollar size) but I see the tentacles coming out of it so I know it's alive (don't ask me why I mention that...)

Silicon was coming off from the back of the cross brace. Going to add a new piece of glass on top of the back wall and connected to the cross brace.
A few things on this topic I didn't think of until after I left:
1) With the current clamp in place, are the walls held such that there is no gap where the center brace pulled out, or is there a gap? If there is a gap you'll want to clamp it well enough that the gap closes. Otherwise you're effectively locking it in a stressed state, and while the add on sheet will keep it from getting (much) worse, it won't put it where it should be.
1b) This may require putting a small metal/wood square section against the back before clamping, even better if it only touches away from the center to spread the load, even better if a few clamps are used. Unfortunately my clamps are all in a storage unit in Texas, but just in case I end up with them before you do this you're welcome to borrow them.
2) My aquarium go-to is Momentive RTV103 (assuming you want black to match the tank). It's what I used to do the repairs on my big tank, and I've talked with tank builders who use it. Reasonably available as well. Unfortunately my spare tube (also a couple years old at this point) is also stuck somewhere in a storage unit in another state. Oddly it's one item that Grainger carries (or did) at a reasonable price, unlike pretty much everything else they sell.
3) The problem with that particular silicone, and all of the other 1 part silicone adhesives out there, is that they don't really cure very far from the nearest edge no matter how long you let them sit. Not a big deal in general tank construction, but a real issue if you are putting on a new plate like in this case. You'll want to either make several very thin strips (no more than 1/2") with a slight gap between each one and air paths to the outside and then seal around the edge a week or two later, or use a 2 part cure silicone. Unfortunately my current adhesives supplier relationships are less than quick on response time so I'm not in a position to recommend something for that.

There’s no gap.
I have two other clamps I will use when the time comes.
I have momentive clear since I want light to penetrate through the new bracing. I hadn’t thought about my new piece of glass being to wide for it to work well tho. Thanks! Kinda...

Back