Reef nutrition

CBB eating tips?

You don’t want to keep them alive really. They won’t be worth anything to the fish at that point
Understood, I never done anything to try to keep them alive, I just noticed the fish love hunting them. I feed them mainly as a treat of sorts nothing I do regularly.

1 clam secured haha lets c how this goes. Should I feed this today or tomorrow? When I feed the others? Does it matter if I drop it in the tank where ever?

Attachments

• IMG_8100.jpeg
    IMG_8100.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 31
1 clam secured haha lets c how this goes. Should I feed this today or tomorrow? When I feed the others? Does it matter if I drop it in the tank where ever?

Feed it now! Feed as many foods as possible as often as possible. Feed feed feed. Good luck.

If your heart is set on a CBB, I would get one that’s already eating and QTed from Kenny. It will be expensive and still a good chance you will lose the fish, but chances of success will be considerably higher.

Here’s mine, a voracious eater - I got lucky. I feed frozen 4-5 times per day like this and he is *still* relatively thin. These are tough!

Last edited:
Feed it now! Feed as many foods as possible as often as possible. Feed feed feed. Good luck.

If your heart is set on a CBB, I would get one that’s already eating and QTed from Kenny. It will be expensive and still a good chance you will lose the fish, but chances of success will be considerably higher.

Here’s mine, a voracious eater - I got lucky. I feed frozen 4-5 times per day like this and he is *still* relatively thin. These are tough!

If any of your fish is thin, that will just prove how difficult they are, given how much you feed :). I always thought the Moorish idols are difficult, but reading this, the CBB does really not seem to be a good idea to own.

Seconding this. I got lucky and my CBB from Kenny is a massive pig that will butt heads with my tangs to get frozen mysis.

I dropped in the clam last night and his usual spot, but he was just hovering over it. I haven’t seen him pick at Corals so far so good. I’m just really worried about him not eating. I don’t think he went for the clam.

Attachments

• IMG_8107.jpeg
    IMG_8107.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 30
If you're going to aquatic collection I'd pick up some live brine shrimp also if you plan on trying to wean your cbb onto frozen brine or mysis. Masssticks and clams are great options on getting them to eat but you need to decide if that's what you want to feed exclusively going forward.

Also another note on frozen. At the start mine was very particular about eating only the whole looking mysis and brine that were fully intact with head and all. It inspected each piece carefully didn't like the broken bits. My experience has only been with one cbb which i've had a litte bit over a year, so behaviors may differ with others.
Neptunes also carries live brine now.

@Chrism1330

This fish probably won't make it. I hope I'm wrong. You have done well by trying everything, but it happens more times than not. This is one of those fish that I believe dies 95+ times out of a hundred when imported and I'd love to see it stop. It's the reason the Kenny gets (I believe) 300.00 on his tat are eating and fat when sold. He goes through many that he has to pay for to get one that starts eating. He's better at it then most of us so doesn't lose that percentage, but still.....

You leanred a lesson that we ALL have learned. My suggestion is go on Yelp and other social media and send a warning about Violet's practices. That's the right thing to do at this point.

This fish probably won't make it. I hope I'm wrong. You have done well by trying everything, but it happens more times than not. This is one of those fish that I believe dies 95+ times out of a hundred when imported and I'd love to see it stop. It's the reason the Kenny gets (I believe) 300.00 on his tat are eating and fat when sold. He goes through many that he has to pay for to get one that starts eating. He's better at it then most of us so doesn't lose that percentage, but still.....

You leanred a lesson that we ALL have learned. My suggestion is go on Yelp and other social media and send a warning about Violet's practices. That's the right thing to do at this point.
I called up violete and he said he would replace the CBB or give me another fish replacement of any kind. Is there anything you guys recommend l should get? I currently have
Blue tang
Yellow peel
Blenny
Wrasse
Pair of clown
Fox face
6 green chromis
Is there anything else I can put in the ya k that you guys recommend?

Last edited:
I called up violete and he said he would replace the CBB or give me another fish replacement of any kind. Is there anything you guys recommend l should get? I currently have
Blue tang
Yellow peel
Blenny
Wrasse
Pair of clown
Fox face
6 green chromis
How big is this tank?What kind of wrasse?

Blue tang
Yellow peel
Blenny
Wrasse
Pair of clown
Fox face
6 green chromis
Don’t buy ANYTHING
Maintenance maintenance maintenance
Grow that garden, feed those fish
How good at this are you?
Buy food, buy water, pay Pg&e
Buy a book

Back