Neptune Aquatics

Bypassing the Grape Vine?

I'll be driving down south to visit family for xmas. My wife currently has Wed-Sat off so we were planning on driving down Tuesday night. The problem is weather. Currently SB grapevine is closed due to snow. There looks to be another bit if rain/snow tuesday-wed on the GV. I'm worried about the possibility of another closure or even issues with ice etc.

So...Any advice on smart alternate ways to get to orange county should weather be shitastic tuesday? I can see a few potential options but not sure which is more practical than another.

the 101 it is :) Nicer won't matter since we will be driving at night. The last xmas, we drove down really early and drove through sunrise. THAT was awesome.

Yup, definitely the 101. Adds a bit more to your drive, but at least it's opened.

A couple of guys that I know spent a fair amount of time driving back up north. Both took the 5 up, but one turned around and took the 101 after they closed the 5. It only took him 11 hours to get up north. The other stayed in a hotel at the grapevine and waited it out. :D

I've gone out the other way through Tehachipi when the grapevine was closed. It added about 1.5 hours to my trip...but it could get snowed in too so you would want to keep an eye on it.

wow, i think I should reseach my drive to vegas next. I went to Tahoe last winter and got stuck over night, I ended up turning around and driving to Reno. Then called in sick on Monday, while the slot machines ringing on the background. :D

my wife drove to la tusday night. it started to snow on her on the grapevine. as she left san bernadino wed afternoon it was snowing there. she was forced to go home 101 and had no problems. stop by pea soup andersons in buellton.

Gomer- I'll be driving down on Sunday night and back up Tues morn/afternoon so I can give you a heads up how it looks when I do it. Hopefully GV will be open, but I have no clue. Weather.com says that Tues should be mostly free of precip (10%) but Mon and Wed both show 30%. The only other reliable way is 101. I've been debating whether it's faster to go down 101 from here, or cut over to I-5 and then back to 101 on hwy 46 (hits paso robles). But either way, there ya have it. Oh, and if you need to leave the pet with me I can take care of it (probably?)

I take 101 every time now. There's fog sometimes, but nothing like Tule Fog in the Valley. No snow either. People don't drive as fast compared to I-5 (which is cool with me). More CHP that are hard to spot (before it's too late) as compared to I-5.

I know there are In and Outs near the freeway by Gilroy (the outlet exit), Salinas, Paso Robles.

There's a gas station in the Costco Gilroy (Hiway 152? East exit).

I've stopped at the Starbucks at the same exit as the Costco Gilroy. Starbucks near the freeway in Salinas (Lauren exit?), Soledad, King City (Broadway exit), SLO (Madonna exit). I don't know where a Starbucks is in Santa Maria.

We usually stop by the Park in SLO (Modanna exit). We've also stopped by the beaches in Pismo Beach (Avalon exit), Santa Barbara (traffic), Ventura, Oxnard (Costco gas here too). Stopped by Solvang for pastries, Pismo Beach (end of the pier) for seafood/burritos.

I hope others would chime in on where to stop.

Back