High Tide Aquatics

20 gallon long AIO nano reef

So I have a very low bioload currently with Chaeto and some red dragons breath. I also have been running a eshopps hob skimmer rated for 100 gallons on my 20 gallon tank. Should I turn off the skimmer and run it a few days out of the week?

Finally got a chance to clean the glass and get a picture of the two frags I picked up at the Benicia frag swap. Bam bams and sunny d.

FOT46B.JPG

It was a nice setup, flea market style. But I was there right when they opened so things hadn't quite opened up yet and not all the vendors were there yet. So next time I'll set aside more time to hang out. I heard it might become a once a month thing.

my girlfriend had to attend a dental convention at the moscone center in the city so after dropping her off i headed off to check out some fish stores. i stopped 6th st aquarium and lucky ocean aquarium. 6th st hasn't changed much from the last time i visited 3 years ago. they had some big zoa colonies for 29.99.

i then drove over to lucky oceans and found a small green and white speckled bubble tip anemone for 15.99. couldn't really see them all to well since the containers weren't clear. they must have came into the store pretty bleached because we (the sales guy and i) were both surprised at it's nice coloring when he bagged it.

i aclimated it when i got home and put it in a makeshift breeder cup with my baby clown fish.

I came home yesterday and the temp on my tank was up from 79 to 83. I through in some frozen ice packs followed by frozen water bottles.

The undata frag doesn't look to good and the beta is closed up. Hope everything else pulls through.

It was really warm that day and I didn't get home till real late. I usually through a frozen bottle of water in when I notice the temp rising.

Thinking about getting a reef keeper lite and a small clip on fan to help keep the tank cool when I'm away.

everything stayed closed for about a week after the tank spike, but i found that it may have been stray current in the tank that was bothering all the corals. a bare strip of the led strip i was using for moonlighting was coming in contact with the water. after i fixed that most of the corals opened back up within a couple days.

unfortunately my new bta had let go of the rock it was on over night and ended up in the skimmer intake.

9696456168_9df707b34f.jpg

it wasn't looking to good by the time i found it in the morning. i was running late for work so i unplugged the skimmer and figured i'd give it a chance to crawl out. this is how it looked by the time i got home.

9696455866_d47256c36b.jpg

9693226257_4b01c036dc.jpg

i could see that it managed to get about half it's foot out from the slits in the intake and it's tentacles were inflated a bit even though it's mouth was open. i removed the intake grate and placed it in a low flow low light area of the tank.

it finally managed to get completely out about 4-5 days later. perfect timing since i was leaving for a week long vacation that same day.

9696454664_5c0fba0145.jpg

i picked it up off the sandbed and placed it in a crevice of a rock and left for vacation. here it is 7 days later. looks like it's doing ok so far.

9696453670_a2bf74ce06.jpg

Last edited:
here's a dbtc update.

the hammer coral i picked up from neuro is doing well and though it might not be ready for fragging for dbtc it looks like its going in the right direction.

9696454124_08caee9117.jpg

FTS update shot

CAM00022.jpg

Havent changed or added anything. My bta is doing well after its encounter with the skimmer. My frag of 5 sunny d's is up to 8 plus two baby ployps. About a week ago i noticed the foot of my ricordea was stretching across the rock it was on. It receded back and left two new ployps. They havnt opened yet but im excited since it will be a 2nd gen DBTC if i can mange to cut it off the rock.

Moved sine things around and took some updated pics of the white speckled gbta a and my frag of sunny d's that has just about doubled in size

IMAG0560.jpg
IMAG0559.jpg
IMAG0565.jpg

wow that speckled rbta looks like a great find. didn't lucky ocean close awhile ago?

how cool

edit: wait i'm thinking of another place...

wow that speckled rbta looks like a great find. didn't lucky ocean close awhile ago?

how cool

edit: wait i'm thinking of another place...

It was my first time there and almost missed the anemone because they had them floating in containers that were not see through. But on my way out I noticed that the tank had BTA $15 written on the tank. They had 4-5 containers floating around but this was nearly a month ago.

I'm very happy to see that it has colored up so much and it's nice to know that it is very hardy and resilient. I really thought I was going to lose it when I found it stuck in the skimmer intake

Met up a nice reefer named Dan off RC and picked up a rbta. Nice guy with a really nice setup and a huge rbta colony that dates back to one single rbta that he bought originally 15 years ago.

Also ran into tek, owner of blue ocean aquatics.

IMAG0605.jpg

I hope it gets along with the gbta.

Met up a nice reefer named Dan off RC and picked up a rbta. Nice guy with a really nice setup and a huge rbta colony that dates back to one single rbta that he bought originally 15 years ago.

Also ran into tek, owner of blue ocean aquatics.

View attachment 212

I hope it gets along with the gbta.
A 15 year old rbta colony? Nice! That is one of the best things about these forums. We don't always have to go to the sea for all of the gorgeous life in our tanks.

Back