Jestersix

20G PAR38

I am setting up a 20G tank; 24" long.
I have two "Evil" 12K PAR38 lamps coming my way that I can allocate to this tank. I am wondering if these two lamps will provide enough light spread over my tank? I know my tank will likely have two hot spots of light, but I do want the rest of my tank to get enough light.

How high would you you elevate the bottom light emitting portion of these lamps above the surface of the water?

These are the "original" Evil lamps that were released a while back -does anyone know what those optics are? I assume 40 degrees. Is this sufficient for lighting my entire tank relatively equally?

I think 3 PAR38 lamps would be overkill over a 20G.

Don't worry about what I am keeping in the tank -I know the PAR38's will provide enough light, I just want to know if the spread will be even enough.
thanks!

Standard optics on it are 40s. I have two at my desk--I'm sure you've seen them--with 60 degree optics. I swapped them out because they made too small and too great of a hot spot. Now the spread is much more consistent.

I think two with 60 optics about 10-12" above the water would be perfect.

Can I switch out the optics myself?
I'd prefer to keep the standard optics ... I could live with two hotspots, but I do want the rest of the tank to get sufficient light.
Thanks Matt!

Cool, thanks Gresham -

http://www.nanotuners.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=optic&osCsid=8b9b2g8ov71pm4fcsh8ssffj95&search.x=0&search.y=0

Can you point out to me with 60 degree optics I should purchase? XP, or XRE?

I THINK the PAR38s use all XRE but I would just ask nanotuners. They are quick with their CS.

Anthony, at 18" the 40 degree optics will leave you with a tiny fist sized spot with PAR around 500 or so, and then it quickly falls off from there. I think these are designed more for deeper tanks. I think you will be much happier with the 60 degree optics.

Cool, I am definitely going the 60 degree optics route, thanks!
I sent an e-mail to nanotuners about an hour ago, and will wait for their response.
How long did it take you to swap out the optics Matt?

This is going to be exciting!

Awesome ... soon as I get a response from nanotuners, I'll be ordering the appropriate 60 degree optics, and then swapping them out :)
Do you have the Evil PAR38 lamps? Or a different brand/make?

I'd ask and get it direct from Nanocustoms myself...

http://www.nanocustoms.com/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=213&osCsid=bg6udj8sf9cgfq144qremhco67

(but they are out of stock on the 12k right now)

Matt_Wandell said:
I THINK the PAR38s use all XRE but I would just ask nanotuners. They are quick with their CS.

Anthony, at 18" the 40 degree optics will leave you with a tiny fist sized spot with PAR around 500 or so, and then it quickly falls off from there. I think these are designed more for deeper tanks. I think you will be much happier with the 60 degree optics.

Nick says XREs, fyi

Matt_Wandell said:
About 10 minutes total. Tell me if you have any problems.

I am having trouble disassembling my par38 lamp to switch the optics out ... I do not know how to remove the silver trim below the heat sink. Any tips?

Squeeze the heat sink fins in the direction they "want" to go. Be careful not to bend them too much. The metal rim on the widest part of the bulb pulls off. It's tricky, but once you figure it out once it's a snap. From there the rest is pretty intuitive.

heyitsomid said:
what kind of XREs are there and how many are on the par38

There are custom combos, but the two sold by nanocustoms are 3 cool white 2 royal blue sold as "12000K" and 2 CW + 3 RB sold as "20000K".

You can also get ones with a red LED thrown in, or all RB, etc.

I just mounted them to my light rail ... at 12" above the top of the tank the 40 degree optics are nice as it is ... unsure if I should swap out for 60's :(

Back