Neptune Aquatics

225 upgrade IS HERE

Alright, so finally the upgrade may be happening soon.

I will hopefully be moving into a new place in a month and a half or so. The new place has a partial basement (fish room) where I will house all my equipment.

I am keeping my frag tank (48x30x12) and will also be plumbing in a 48x24x20 sump w/ a 150 gallon rubbermaid stock tank (Big fuge?). The skimmer for the whole system will be a Vertex alpha cone 300. I will be running either a dart or a tarpon pump up to the display tank. I will be running a 12x54w sfiligoi stealth on my frag tank.

The display tank is a 72x30x24" eurobraced front starfire tank. I will have a 72" sfiligoi XR6 (3 x 250w MH, 8 x 39w t5ho) on the display. The light skin is currently being painted (Thanks Jess).

I ordered a track actuator from http://www.firgelliauto.com/ and some pulleys from McMaster.
I plan to do something similar to the following
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1674506

I will be using 6 vortech mp40w es for flow. 2 on each side and 2 on the back side. My skin for the steel stand will be made by Greg65 on RC.

To support the weight of the tank, I will be using some screw jacks. Thanks Art for pointed me to floor jacks here.
https://store.ellisok.com/
I will be doing the same as Art with 3 of the 4x4 floor jacks.

So you didn't get a linear actuator but rather the track actuator? Good deal. The normal ones like he used in that thread really are not for doing what you want to do, and tracks are perfect for it. Need the U-Grove bearing sour?

Nice Ian. I bet Boun is happy to get his garage back. Let me know if you need help.
Is the Display going to be upstairs and you are going to pump everything in from below?

GreshamH said:
So you didn't get a linear actuator but rather the track actuator? Good deal. The normal ones like he used in that thread really are not for doing what you want to do, and tracks are perfect for it. Need the U-Grove bearing sour?
Yes no linear actuator. I bought some cable pulleys from mcmaster instead of using the u groove. Less chance of the cable coming out.

Tumbleweed said:
Nice Ian. I bet Boun is happy to get his garage back. Let me know if you need help.
Is the Display going to be upstairs and you are going to pump everything in from below?

Display will be in the dining room in the new place and the equipment will be in the partial basement.

tuberider said:
mpoletti said:
Very nice Ian, I can't wait to help get this bad boy up, running and stocked :)

You just volunteered to help?

You're crazy :D

No one has ever accused me no being too sane about this hobby :)

Heck yeah, I'm gonna help. Its either help somone else or work on mine and the last couple of times I've done that, things have not turned out so well :)

iani said:
GreshamH said:
Yes no linear actuator. I bought some cable pulleys from mcmaster instead of using the u groove. Less chance of the cable coming out.

With correct tension I have never head of one coming out ;) I use them for the low profile effect. cable pulleys are massively huge compared to a simple u-groove bearing :)

plastic or metal pulley?

Getting this metal pulley.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#3213t52/=78ws5h

Ordered 7 of them. 1 for each mounting point and 1 to reroute 3 of the wires.

Yah those won't work in my case. I have ones like that which are smaller and made out of a heavy duty plastic (for sale boats) but I am going to end up using the U-Grove bearings.

It might (or might not lol) be a good idea to pre-load the light weight using gas shocks. This way, the actuators aren't pulling the full light weight.

GreshamH said:
Yah those won't work in my case. I have ones like that which are smaller and made out of a heavy duty plastic (for sale boats) but I am going to end up using the U-Grove bearings.

Cool, Gresh. Let me know how it turns out.

Gomer said:
It might (or might not lol) be a good idea to pre-load the light weight using gas shocks. This way, the actuators aren't pulling the full light weight.

I don't think it is necessary. The track actuator I got is rated at a max load of 200 and a static load of 75. The fixture weighs about 70 with all glass shields in place. I figure I can remove the t5 glass shields if I need to lighten the load a bit.

Coral reefer said:
Reefbrites over t5s!

iani said:
I will have a 72" sfiligoi XR6 (3 x 250w MH, 8 x 39w t5ho) on the display.

He's all ready purchased a super high end fixutre (~$3K new IIRC). I HIGHLY doubt he's going to want to rip into that Sfiligoi to replace the Ts with RB's :)

IN-XRD-3250-2.jpg

Back