Reef nutrition

3D print plugs

Is it cost effective? I mean s plug is like 20cent :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
cheapest plugs are 11 for $17

Abs filament 1kg is $22

I’m sure you can print more than 200 plugs out of that.

What about the good ‘OL method of making molds in wood and making your own plug/disks that way?

Problem with that is you can only mix limited numbers at once and making 100 takes forever. But I did though about that. Then again, it’s messy and longer process than just printing it out.

Ahhh. I mean, if I had a printer already, I would go that route. But since I don’t, if I want to make disks, I will go the mold route

I had the experience of having plastic frag plugs; I believe they were ABS, not sure on that but they suck; are very light in weight and tend to be blown knocked off by critters...
I had several bags and gave all of them away.

I had the experience of having plastic frag plugs; I believe they were ABS, not sure on that but they suck; are very light in weight and tend to be blown knocked off by critters...
I had several bags and gave all of them away.

The new ones clips on the eggcrat instead of slot in.

I see plenty of options for 15-20 cent plugs when bought in bulk, like 1000 plugs. And would be superior calcium carbonate or ceramic rather than plastic.

I could see making them if you ran out and needed a couple in a pinch and had a printer already.

I see plenty of options for 15-20 cent plugs when bought in bulk, like 1000 plugs. And would be superior calcium carbonate or ceramic rather than plastic.

I could see making them if you ran out and needed a couple in a pinch and had a printer already.
Where from? Let's do a group buy!

I don’t any special inside info, lol. Just google 1000 frag plugs or bulk frag plugs. Amazon, EBay, etc. Looks like the cheapest ones are ceramic. Personally I don’t mind paying a little more for more normal quantities from retailers I’d rather support.

Anyway I’m just pointing out that while 3D printing is admittedly cool, this doesn’t seem like a particularly cost-effective approach to scale up. And I don’t like plastic frag plugs.

While 3d print is cool it takes so long and power you don't calculate the power use to print it.

Back