Kessil

65 gallon Marineland tank

I won this tank at a raffle at Reef-A-Palooza . Funny story is it was actually marked as a 45 gallon tank but then someone from the Marineland booth came over and told my dad and I it was a 65 gallon tank. It also came with all the supplies needed.
The supplies are as listed (all are Marineland)
- An Acrylic sump filtration system(560 GPH capacity) Model C to the third power.
- 2 White and Blue LED's
- Protein Skimmer
- Submersible Heater
- Submersible Utility Pump
- Air Pump
- Marine Accelerator and Marine Conditioner
- And some gel fish food

Also the tank is a cube.

Wow good score! Glad someone from the "Home team" won some good prizes there :D I didn't put any raffle money in because I didn't expect to hang around, not knowing that winners didn't need to be present :D

Hope you put it to good use :D

I just arranged the sump, put water in the tank and live rock today. Tomorrow or in a few days I plan to, with my Dad, to get sand in the tank and arrange the live rock; on top of that I am going to put some sand and a small rock in a refugium in my sump.

I tested the parameters of my water on Saturday; also I added some of my water from my 25 gallon into the tank after I tested the water. I then checked the parameters to see how they matched up with an established tank. Also two things one I put a hermit crab in the tank with another shell (I dipped them first) and the hermit crab shed that day and is doing fine; two also I do know that I do not have some of the important parameters but my test kit (came with my Red Sea) did not have them. Here they are.
pH: ~8.5
Alk: ~2.7-3 meq/L (I put it as a range because I had a little trouble finding the exact number)
Nitrite: .2 p.p.m
Ca: perfect (the test I have just says if it is perfect or not)
Ammonia: 2.5 p.p.m
High Low range
Nitrate: 25 - 5 p.p.m
I will hopefully test the water next week and see how the parameters are.

Okay I took my water to Caeser's and they predict the my tank should be ready for one fish this weekend. I am hoping they still have the swiss guard basslet; also I have heard that basslets are hardy is that true in your experience?

The water was ready. I got some live sand (I have still have to get more to finish the sand bed) and a Sand Hopper Blenny; the blenny is great, it has a cute face and an amazing personality. I also put two Collonista in to establish a population.

I have been adding things but I just wanted to make sure they were doing okay. So this is what is in the tank right now.
-Swiss Guard Basslet (he just started to come out) and a Sand Hopper Blenny
-RBTA
-Mini Carpet Anemone
-Purple Rim Montipora
-Blue Stag
-Green Birdsnest
-Orange Cap Monti (It keeps collecting debris because of its shape)
-Sympodium
-Ricordea and Yuma (it keeps getting flipped over)
-Virus Favia (I just found some aiptasia on its rock)
-War Coral
-Grey Acan
-Green Finger Leather
-Scolymia (It bailed because of a mushroom and is now in this tank)
-Hydnophora
-Acro (It is doing well)
- and algae
Actually all of these corals are small frags except for the scoly, Orange cap monti, and the Hydnophora. I also only lost a coral that was to big to be on top and got knocked over and part of a birdsnest frag that was looking a little discolored then fell of the plug (that one is not fully gone yet).

I forgot to mention that there also is a small group of polyps (I am pretty sure they are pipe organ corals). I started out with 1 polyp and now I have 5 polyps.

The pictures I found of those, they look amazing...

Though it seems they have a chance to be fish eaters, and seem to be very aggressive eaters, so I would keep an eye on it...

I know I'm the FNG and my research is probably flawed (I just google'd pseudocorynactis and read a couple different forums about them, it wasn't in-depth, just reading others reports of the different genus types)

But I would throw that warning out there...

This tank was also taken down during the move. It is not available for sale yet since I am not sure what parts I will need. The only parts I am definitely not selling as of now are the 150 watt kessil and the protein skimmer. I will post up here if anything is going for sale.

Hey, Layton how are you? Totally miss seeing you come into the store. Hope you and your family are doing well. What's your school situation look like? I'm still at Caesars I didn't take the job at House of Fins. It Just didn't workout. Are there any cool stores where you live? Hope you enjoy the rest of your summer.
Keep on Reefin'
James

Hi James, it is great down here except there are not very many reef stores in the area that are as close as Caesar's was. I'm heading off to school in September, early though. I am hoping that everything is going well for you too in Santa Rosa.
P.S. I miss coming to Caesars', it was a great store.

Back