Neptune Aquatics

70cuda's 180 gallon tank

Sad news, we have been without power for a few days now. With the heavy rains came flooding and a power outtage in our area. Sunday night woke up to the emergency back up power running the tank. Got up to check everything and all seemed to be running accourding to plan. Two batterey opperated air bac paks kicked in and the pumps and heater plugged into the back up power supply. What I hadnt thought of was the heater is 300 watts and that kicked the power off. Had to unplug the heater and just run two pumps. After an hour the power still didnt come on and we started to worry about draining the power supply so switched to one pump. The worst part was watching the temp drop slowly. At about two hours the power ran out and we were forced to think of other power supplies. Have an inverter to the car, that also just ran the pumps but we didnt want to run the car indefinetly. Into the morning we figured power wasnt coming on anytime soon and got the generator outta the motor home. Ran all the pumps and heater off of that for two days. Today I need to see what was lost and check all my parameters. I think the most stress came from the temp dropping to 70 then when we plugged in the heater the temp rose too quickly.

could of been worse. I thought was better prepared than actually was, but you never know till it happens what you didnt think of. generator saved my tank in the end.

Amy I'm sorry to hear about your power loss , let me know after you get everything stable again, I'll be more than happy to offer frags of whatever I have.

Sergio

Thanks for all the kind words my bar family. So far an inventory shows all the fish and corals alive but a little stressed, a few sps have started to sluff a little tissue but are not white or dead. All the millis are still looking great. The lps are all in good condition including the chalice that was just fragged. Is there anything that can be done to help the sps?

Wow Amy, sorry you had a power outage for 2 days! Not fun at all. :( I am glad you had back up though, way to go on your preparations! I'm glad your losses were minimum. :)

Tested my parameters today and this is how my tank is doing...

ammonia 0
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
phosphate 0
calcium 440
magnesium 1350
alk or dkh 2 meq
ph 7.9 to 8.1 iono the colors look the same to me but its definately not any higher than 8.1

After testing my alk was thinking it was suppose to be higher like 3.8 and my ph should be higher too is this a really bad thing and not worry or I need to supplement something like alk and or ph buffer.

Hey all. Its great to be home hope my reefing family is doing good. Been very busy and gone for past six months or so. My 8 year that rides dirt bikes got sponsered and we made a committment to take him on the road. This happened so quick bought a trailer on Monday, on the road on Wednesday. We, meaing me leaving hubby at home to work, traveled all over going as far as Texas for some events. My son James did awsome we are so proud. As far as my reef goes, my hubby not a reefer but did the best he could. Didnt lose too much so im happy. As far as the club goes I would like to appologize to anyone who was owed a frag and we didnt connect before we left. I have missed everyone so much as well as reading about your tanks. There is alot of work to do on my tank as its overgrown. I look forward to learning how everyone is doing.

Dr doolittle you have that baby yet/

Hi Amy,

Welcome back.. Glad to hear that you are back. we missed you. Sergio and i were talking about you a while back. We tried reaching you but no response. We both hoped everything were ok, good to hear that things are cool.

Yes, we just had a baby boy (as you guessed a while back). His name is Ethan James born June 25, 2009.

By the way, the Pumpkin Patch is doing good and growing nicely. It show be ready to be fragged in a couple of months.

How's the tank doing?

Back