Cali Kid Corals

Picked up a nice sized Lobo on ebay for like $1.68. Local pickup so no $50 shipping charge! :)

DSCF1123.JPG

Right after giving it like 8 mysis (1 per mouth).

Is this guy ok on the rock? or do they need to be in the sand (how i always see them at lfs). In the rock he fits perfectly into one of the holes.

haha yeah he was ok. I can understand why some people would be hesitant, if it melts away in like a week you might end up with a creepy stalker :hat:

Sfork said:
Is this guy ok on the rock? or do they need to be in the sand (how i always see them at lfs). In the rock he fits perfectly into one of the holes.

Bump for original question.
Thanks

Better on sand than on rock.

The tissue inflates and it's not good for it to get scraped or abraded on the rock.

Natural habitat is sandy lagoon.

Thanks, the skin part protrudes at least 1" on all sides when inflated. Just to be safe I'll make room for it on the sand.

Mr. Ugly said:
Better on sand than on rock.

The tissue inflates and it's not good for it to get scraped or abraded on the rock.

Natural habitat is sandy lagoon.

I think you are confusing a lobo with a another coral, probably a trach (open brain) that does indeed live in lagoons. Lobos do indeed live on rocks and normally are not found in sandy lagoons IIRC. Every picture I have seen of them are on the reef head, not in a lagoon.

Well, go with Gresham on this one.

I was Googling, and only saw some references that weren't all that precise, but seemed to make sense.

Gresham's actually been there, so he would know.

Mr. Ugly said:
Well, go with Gresham on this one.

I was Googling, and only saw some references that weren't all that precise, but seemed to make sense.

Gresham's actually been there, so he would know.

:( no I haven't....

I've just seen a buttload of pictures and spoken with exporters/collectors. It comes in attached to live rock or broken from a large colony. They may grow big colonies of it in lagoons but everyone I have seen (in pictures) has been on the reef or right near (not near sand). Your info was spot on for trach's though :)

Back