Jestersix

90 Gallon Mixed Reef

Hello everyone,

I've decided to upgrade from my modified 29 gallon biocube to a 90 Gallon AGA Reef Ready Megaflow Tank. I picked up a 30 x 12 x 16 TruVu basic sump and just finished welding in some baffles to accomodate the skimmer/pump combo I'll be using. My brother has a full on woodworking shop and we have picked up all the oak lumber/trim we'll be using to build the custom canopy/stand. Today was the first day where we ripped some sheets of plywood and cut them down to size for the framing. Gotta love the fact that his woodworking skills are right up there with Norm Abram:) The Visio design looks awesome on his computer.

I've been cycling another frag tank in my garage as a holding/frag type setup to help with transitioning coral into the 90 gal when up and running. The plan for the 90 is primarly an SPS tank along with zoas, clams, and possibly my BTA I've already got in my BC29. Been looking at some awesome grow light T5 fixtures to supply my tank with 20k lumens. The price is so right on those fixtures and the local hydroponics shop seems to have great deals on these fixtures.

Anyway, I plan on creating a build thread with pictures to show the progress along the way. Stay tuned.

Also picked up about 100 lbs of live rock from someone off Craigslist. Needless to say, excellent deal for the Fiji rock. My skimmer also came in yesterday so I'm really getting excited to get the tank up and running. The only hiccup was my Reef Octopus NWB - 150 came with the OTP-1000 instead of the OTP-2000 pump... The issue is being resolved.

More pictures to come.

patchin said:
Tell me more about the fixtures you're considering.

3.25" parabolic reflectors with German Specular Aluminum:

securedownload-2.jpg

Roc said:
your build looks like lots of fun, so you got any more info on those lights?

I'm using Hydrofarm T5 HO 4 bulb commercial grow light fixture. I'll be swapping out 3 of the bulbs with ATI of various blues.

Here are some shots of my current BC29. The clown and anemone will be transitioned into the new 90 gallon when the time is right.. I also plan on fragging the few SPS growing in there and transfering into the 90 gallon as well.

_MG_6458-1.jpg

_MG_6456-2.jpg

_MG_6457.jpg

Aside from my BC29, I'm debating which return pump to use on my 90 Gallon AGA. The two I'm looking at are the Mag Drive 9.5 and Ocean Runner 3500. My Reef Octopus HOB BH-100ss skimmer on my 20 gallon long frag tank uses the smaller Ocean Runner pump. I must say I have been very impressed with the efficiency and quietness of the Ocean Runner.

However, since I already own a Mag Drive 9.5, I'm leaning towards using it. Of course, I could always try to sell the Mag Drive and pick up the Ocean Runner. Anyone have experience with both? Is it worth the effort to run the Ocean Runner over the Mag Drive? Thanks!!

Alright, finally got some pictures of my cabinet and canopy. We will be putting crown moulding on top and trimming the doors, sides, etc out with fluted molding and other trim pieces. The final product should look really nice.

_MG_6475.jpg

Design layout

IMG_6523.jpg

Frame of cabinet made from Oak Plywood.

_MG_6485.jpg

Canopy all clamped up and drying

IMG_6521.jpg

Another canopy angle

_MG_6481.jpg

Doors clamped up

_MG_6486.jpg

Router table for finishing work