got ethical husbandry?

99sf's 150-Gallon Upgrade

Raddogz said:
That's a gorgeous Setosa colony. I didn't know they scroll like that though - then again I've never seen a colony that big.
The crazy thing is that this is a small piece of the original setosa colony! A MARS member got the majority of the colony, which was huge.

The thing grows like a weed. The only thing that has kept my from getting that big has been fragging the heck out of it and other corals running into it. It tends to lose most of the coral wars.

A sad day. That beautiful maxima clam photographed on 11/5/09 on page 14 of this thread just died. I noticed its mantle had severely retracted a few days ago. Last night, I got home and noticed there was almost no mantle visible, and the shell was gaping. There was also slime coming out of the top of the shell. I took the clam out of the water, and it smelled rotten, with the area where the foot should have been wide open.

Everything else seems to be doing well, and I haven't made major changes to the tank except for adding the frags mentioned above a week ago, which I dipped in Flatworm Exit (with a powerhead) for about 45 minutes, and dipped in Revive for about 5 minutes (basting, and looking carefully for bad hitch-hikers).

Except this week I did find a couple of acro frags that had tissue death. When I pulled them out of the water, I noticed a few small invertebrates. They didn't look like AEFW (which are fatter and more transparent), at least after searching for photos and discovering the page on Melevsreef. They were reddish brown, elongated and very tiny, and moved surprisingly quickly. They did not look like copepods. I had to dispose of the dying acro frags, and didn't have time to take a photo of the miniature pests.

Any reef veterans have any idea what might have happened to the maxima clam (bacterial infection) or acros?

I like your custom blackout curtain. have you thought about automating it- maybe retrofit a light rail system to fit your curtain? j/k :D. You have a lot of nice corals and that's a cool yellowish sponge. Sorry to hear about your clam. :(
I was also a lucky winner of a RN bag of goodies. great products and my corals and fish are already smiling.

Another tank-wrapper by now I think we can spin off into a new club!
Absolutely beautiful looking tank. Dig the big green turbinaria (hint hint).

Hint taken... Erin asked for a frag of the green turbinaria, and I need to schedule an appointment with Screebo to cut a couple of frags and add to DBTC.

Wow, such great products from Reef Nutrition--got very lucky at yesterday's raffle! I have already spent a lot of time mixing food and target feeding. The corals are sending out huge sweepers now, and the orange goniopora colony has begun re-extending. I had been lazy recently and was adding cyclopeze to the entire tank, but not targeting the gonio. The Tigger Pods bottle says, "Because they swim upward, with a stimulating, jerky swimming motion, they are attractive to both fish and people." Very true! We have enjoyed watching the Tigger Pods in the bottle; they are now swimming around the refugium and slowly entering the display tank.
PC120001.jpg

Because my tank is in a sunroom, my mom & I created this blackout curtain to prevent algae outbreaks. I hang it on the mini hooks when I go to sleep and remove it when I return from work. Think it also slows the heat loss to the surrounding chilly peninsula air. I had the windows closed for a couple of days last week during the rain, and had a bit of a humidity problem inside the sunroom. When I first bought the fabric and asked my mom to sew the curtain, I failed to account for the fact that the canopy extends beyond the tank dimensions, so 5 feet + 2 feet + 2 feet resulted in the curtain being about 2.5 inches too short. :X Luckily, she was able to sew an extender strip onto one side.

PC120012.jpg

Richard, I haven't noticed any temperature increase when the sun hits the side of the tank. The tank isn't next to a window, but the light does come through the partial windows at the top of the room as it rises & sets.

I recently changed my light fixtures, after finding someone on RC who was changing to LED lights. Now, the ballasts are 250w IceCap electronic, instead of the old Hamilton ballast & BlueWave. The pendants are an unknown brand (standard shape) on the left and an Odyssea on the right. The Odyssea has a stock 15K bulb, and the other side's bulb just says PFC 250w Blue. The Odyssea, for a cheap fixture, seems to put out a lot of light when paired with a good ballast.
IMGP4385.jpg

The sailfin, displaying his colors:
IMGP4407.jpg

The nem is now almost as big as a dinner plate, hiding the large GSM clown:
IMGP4368.jpg

I think I see some growth on the setosa colony:
IMGP4401.jpg

The turbinaria/ scroll coral before it meets the band saw:
IMGP4414.jpg

The candy canes have been feasting on RN products:
IMGP4394.jpg

Green yumas are destructive... they have a tendency to detach from the rock, float around in the current, and sting my prized corals. First happened to the big blue/purple chalice, which has recovered from its encounter with a yuma. Last night, was target feeding the red fungia frag when I noticed strange curling of the tissue and exposed skeleton in the back. Sure enough, a yuma had attached to the rubble behind / underneath the fungia. Pulled it off and placed it in time-out (a plastic bag destined for the office tank). Does this yuma problem happen to anyone else?

Back