Our mission

Abalone diving - North Coast

G

I just got back from a weekend of free diving for abalone. Conditions were great 1st day and 2nd was insane. Sunny the whole time, which is rare for Stillwater. The waves were a bit big, but that makes for more fun :D I limmitted out of course. Vis was so so, 4 - 6 foot day one and 5 - 8 the next day. Ab's were plenty, even sitting on tops of rocks.

I saw a river otter family as well as some grey foxes. All in all, a great trip.

Cold? Stand? Bah, it was tropical conditions... Sunny with water temps soaring in the mid to low 50's.

I'll pass the Hi on to them at Thanksgiving dinner tonight :D Mmmm, fried ab appetizers :D

Will do! :D Can't go until April now :( We'll be doing a mussel/fish hunting/crabbing session soon though :D My job only allows weekend trips, with a Monday return.

I would like to tag along on one of your trips one time, if possible. That seems like a lot of fun and i'd like to learn the whole process of "the hunt".

Free diving only :D SCUBA + abalone = jail time and $$$

If you don't mind diving in 0' - 6' visibility, in really cold water, walking 3/4" w/ full gear and navigating a pretty steep cliff climb w/ full gear THEN doing it all over again with another 30 lbs of ab's, far less energy and tons of water soaked into your wetsuit.

IT's a blast :D I love it :D

What's included in the full gear? I would love to do it, but not if i'm going to drown. I'm 150 lbs. and the way you are making it sound, i'll probably sink under all the weight. :D

With free diving, you typically don't use a BC (bouncy controll vest).

Surf suits are not exceptable diving suits in this case. You'll need a real dive suit.

Full gear for me:

wetsuit
gloves
hood
booties
weight belt (32 lbs for me)
ab gauge
ab iron
goodie bag
mask
snorkle
fins
knife
whistle
fishing license
ab card
driver license
dive board (converted boogie board)
dive back pack
hmm, I think I'm missing some thing else?

I do have to add that this is one of the most dangerious types of diving and a very unforgiving location. In my years of going there, I been there three times for 3 deaths and countless air rescues. It's very common to hear sirens and sea the rescue chopper hovering some place.

It's really easy to get into a life and death situation. One bump on the head by a surge knocking you into a rock and your out. You could get wrapped up in seaweed or push yourself too long and pass out. I've nearly passed out several times now, seeing stars while rushing to the surface is no good. It's pretty scary seeing the light disappear as you go to it :( You could fall down the cliff (very common up there) or slip on the rock entery and reciece a nasty barnacle cut. Of course, there's our big white friend that lives around there as well. He usually takes people further north and further south though. Tis a myth thought that they won't enter kelp beds though.

I''m not trying to scare you, but I am being honest. It's not for the faint of heart, that is for sure. It's a real fricken work out :D

Just curious, have you ever spotted our Great White friend on one of your expeditions or have been warned away from diving because of sightings?

I've seen them further south, but never around where we are. We've seen kills in the past, big ol carcus floating around in our "secret" dive spot. We call it carcus cove, the locals call it secrets. FWIW, the carcus we named it after was a deer near where we park :D

GreshamH said:
I do have to add that this is one of the most dangerious types of diving and a very unforgiving location. In my years of going there, I been there three times for 3 deaths and countless air rescues. It's very common to hear sirens and sea the rescue chopper hovering some place.

It's really easy to get into a life and death situation. One bump on the head by a surge knocking you into a rock and your out. You could get wrapped up in seaweed or push yourself too long and pass out. I've nearly passed out several times now, seeing stars while rushing to the surface is no good. It's pretty scary seeing the light disappear as you go to it :( You could fall down the cliff (very common up there) or slip on the rock entery and reciece a nasty barnacle cut. Of course, there's our big white friend that lives around there as well. He usually takes people further north and further south though. Tis a myth thought that they won't enter kelp beds though.[/q
uote]
I think it has a lot to do with whom you learned from
Daniel

danielmar said:
I think it has a lot to do with whom you learned from
Daniel

Not sure what your saying here Marc, explain please.

Back