got ethical husbandry?

AC2 Problem

patchin

Supporting Member
I came home this afternoon and my MH wasn't on. The ballast was cool. Haven't changed anything. I'm using appliance modules. It's set to the same old code. The controller setting is the same. I changed to a different module and it still doesn't work. If I plug my fuge light into the module it runs for a while, then shuts off. My PCs are running normally, so the whole AC2 isn't messed up. I'm confused. Any ideas?

Sounds like typical X10 electrical noise problems. Power lines are notoriously 'dirty' when it comes to electrical interference and X10 needs a good strong signal and a clean line to operate reliably.

I've experienced the same problem as you with my AC3 and X10 modules. For no reason at all it just seems that the X10 module becomes unreliable. Could be something else that you plugged into the house wiring. A microwave, computer, TV, house gremlins, who knows. I think that ballasts, including that compact flouresent one you're using do tend to be a source of noise. If you want to try troubleshooting, you may see if you can relocate the X10 modules a bit. Try plugging the Power compact one into one plug and the MH into another.

FWIW, I eventually gave up trying to trouble shoot the X10 and just bought a second DC8.

Thanks Jason. It's odd that this has never happened before. I'll probably take the MH off of the AC2 for tday, so I don't have to worry about it. Then I'll try to spread out the lighting plugs and see what happens.

Agree with Mike... I think you should go the DC8 (or DC4HD depending on the type of MH ballasts you are running) route. You can probably score a deal on a used one since I suspect people are beginning to upgrade to the Neptune APEX and the new Powerbar.

Well, as mysteriously as the AC2 didn't work on Sunday, it worked just fine yesterday. Both PC and MH turned on and off normally.???? I guess I'll just watch it and see what happens. Unusal sunspot activity on Sunday??

House gremlins. Sunspots only affect X10 during odd numbered months. December X10 behavior (being an even numbered month) is dictated by gremlins usually, unless it's a leap year in which case it's determined by American burrito consumption.

Seriously... that's about how reliable X10 is. :p

Back