Our mission

Achilles tang popeye

Over the past few weeks my Achilles tang's eye has been getting progressively worse. It started out just being kind of cloudy and has become more protruded. Right at the end of the video you can see how extended it is.

None of the other fish are showing any of the same symptoms and he's still eating and behaving pretty normally. What should I be doing to help? I'm hoping @fishdoctor may chime in if he's got any experience with this.

Wow that looks bad. Usually Popeye means water condition isn't great. You can try using kanaplex or nitro for any bacterial infection but that requires a separate tank to dose. I had a fish with Popeye that cured over time in kanaplex.

My no3 is 16 but my po4 is 0.45 right now. Ive been trying to bring it down but it hasn't been below 0.36 in several months.

Will it heal on its own or does it need treatment?

One of my anthias had a pretty bad case of popeye but it went away on its own. I don't think my water quality was off or anything at the time. But it sucks that it's your achilles. When I did research there were all sorts of options discussed, including popping with a needle. But most recommended observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my anthias had a pretty bad case of popeye but it went away on its own. I don't think my water quality was off or anything at the time. But it sucks that it's your achilles. When I did research there were all sorts of options discussed, including popping with a needle. But most recommended observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I'd been finding but wanted to make sure there wasn't something more proactive I should be doing. I guess I'll continue to watch him and if he loses his appetite I'll qt him and try some treatments.

Back