Reef nutrition

Advice Please - Octopus Super Reef Skimmers?

What do you guys think about the" Octopus Super Reef 5000 & 3000 External Skimmer" ? I will need to upgrade my skimmer when I get my new tank and I need to watch my price but I want a really good skimmer.

I was reading that external skimmers seem to be better if you have the room to set them up. My main tank will be about 150 gallons, and I'm now thinking of a 55 gallon fuge. What do you guys think about these two skimmers? Should I get the big one or stay with a smaller one? Is there another brand that I should be considering here (Keeping the price around $600-700)?

Hmm I really don't have any experience with external skimmers however the only reason I can see as to why they would "be better" is maybe because they can be larger that what normally fits under a sump, however the downside is if there's any leaking you will get it on the floor. IMO there are plenty of great in-sump skimmers that could fit the bill.

Every once in a while my skimmer gets a wild hair and goes into massive overflow mode.
It is a MSX extreme 250. It is in the sump and if it wasn't I would have mess and top off going crazy. I would not go external for that reason. Not to mention if any other failure caused a leak then you have that to deal with.
My 2 cents.

Back