High Tide Aquatics

Advice Please - RO/DI Source in SF

Hi BARs,

It has been some time since I posted in here. I have been quietly establishing my 75g mixed reef tank over the past 10 months or so. This tank is not only my passion, but my science project, my television, my chill space and a helluva lot of hard work.

Until recently, I have been able to produce my own RO/DI water with my 5 Stage Plus RO/DI filtration system that I purchased from Bulk Reef Supply. For the next few months, I need to switch to buying my RO/DI water.

I am hoping that others who purchase their water could share their source(s). I live in SF and, though I am willing to drive East or South to get water, my preference would be to have a nearby source. Which SF aquarium stores sell reliably clean, well-filtered water? Or are there sources other than aquarium shops?

Thanks for ideas and feedback to help me overcome this hurdle which I hope will not be a long-term deal.

Best Regards All Around,

Dennis

You can buy water from Aquatic Central 1963 Ocean Avenue San Francisco, CA 94127-2721
(415) 584-1888

Just a tip. Ive been using a two stage sediment/carbon filter in SF for over two years. I havnt had any problems with my water quality. I puchased it for around $100 from a Hydro store, its comes with an adapter for a standard garden hose. Plus it has no waste water and makes about 1gpm. This is a great way to save time & money!

You could even add a di after that and still have no waste and get really pure water.
You could buy ro water and mix I yourself also. Many safeways etc... Have ro machines.
Also, I usually have 100 galixed at all times, so maybe I could help you out. Also in the city. Excelsior

Plumstr8 said:
You can buy water from Aquatic Central 1963 Ocean Avenue San Francisco, CA 94127-2721
(415) 584-1888

Just a tip. Ive been using a two stage sediment/carbon filter in SF for over two years. I havnt had any problems with my water quality. I puchased it for around $100 from a Hydro store, its comes with an adapter for a standard garden hose. Plus it has no waste water and makes about 1gpm. This is a great way to save time & money!

I'm new to all of this stuff.
Is the sediment/carbon filter different than an R/O unit?

I've read that R/O units do waste water, so how does your system not?

Mind me asking what TDS readings you are getting before and after filtration?

I just picked up a TDS meter and it read 70 TDS straight out of the tap and then it read 40-50 TDS after it filtered through my GE two stage drinking water filtration system. I am in the west part of San Francisco.

-Jeff :)

jT415Gz said:
Plumstr8 said:
(415) 584-1888

I'm new to all of this stuff.
Is the sediment/carbon filter different than an R/O unit?

I've read that R/O units do waste water, so how does your system not?

Mind me asking what TDS readings you are getting before and after filtration?

I just picked up a TDS meter and it read 70 TDS straight out of the tap and then it read 40-50 TDS after it filtered through my GE two stage drinking water filtration system. I am in the west part of San Francisco.

-Jeff :)

RO units work by forcing pressurized water against a semipermeable membrane. Water and a very small amount of dissolved solids can pass through the filter, but the bulk of the dissolved solids are stopped. Theses are then flushed away by waste water. A flow restrictor on the waste water hose keeps the pressure up at the membrane. A decent RO unit puts out about 1gallon of "pure" water for every 4 gallons of waste water, though the higher the working pressure, the better the ratio. Most people then run a DI unit to remove the last traces out of the water.

In Hayward most of our water comes from the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir (same for most of SF), though some does come from the Calaveras and San Antonio Reservoirs. Last time I checked, I got 67tds from tap, 64tds from the fridge (thank god for that filter!), 3tds after the RO, and 0tds after the DI. DI could do most of the work itself, but that would get rather expensive. Your TDS from tap can change seasonally as well.

He has no ro membrane, just the first couple stages. They absorb stuff, the membrane rejects stuff which is where the waste comes from. No membrane is no waste, but less pure water

Back