Cali Kid Corals

Aiptasia zapper for rent?

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
I thought I recalled hearing something in the club about an aiptasia zapper for rent? Or was I just imagining that? I really don't want to borrow one for any length of time, I just want to see if it's effective at zapping other pests in the tank I have these hydroids (for better use of a word) that are a pain in the butt to rid as they're multiplying to plague types of proportions, while I could ditch a really large rock with them, some also are growing on the side of one of my clams... I just want to see if I can zap the summabitches, if I can I'll buy my own zapper.

Mike,

The club is looking into investing in one as well as a par meter that we will keep in the club repository. I believe Rich mentioned the majano wand is a good tool to have around.

I have a comment to make about Aiptasia removal. Some time ago, I read somewhere that individual Aiptasia anemones could be killed by injecting them with a solution of sodium hydroxide. That sounded impractical, as I could not see how the anemone would not retract when touched by a needle, no matter how fine a gauge. At that time, I had some NaOH pellets in my lab, so a brought some home, and tried to kill the Aiptasia with them. It worked perfectly. What you do is simple pick up a pellet, USING FORCEPS OR GLOVES AS NaOH WILL BURN SKIN ON CONTACT, and drop in on the Aiptasia. The NaOH burns with high pH as soon as it touches water. The Aiptasia just disintegrates. I was actually able to kill all of the Aiptasia in my tank to the point where they did not come back for over 2 years, until the tank was dismantled. The great thing about this, of course, is that NaOH is added in such a small amount that it does not change the pH of the tank and simple adds a little Na and some alkalinity to the water. You can purchase NaOh pellets on line (eg. http://www.sciencecompany.com/Sodium-Hydroxide-Lye-Pellets-500g-P15983.aspx). One of these containers has enough for hundreds of Aiptasia.
Give it a try. No high voltage near the aquarium, no needles and syringes, only thing is DON'T TOUCH THE PELLETS. I realize some will worry about the caustic nature of the NaOH, but remember, it is just lye, exactly what is used to make soap and exactly what you pour down your clogged sink to unclog it (Drano).

I ended up just picking up a peppermint shrimp in hopes of it eating the Aiptasia. It was certainly cheaper than Aiptasia-X. However, if the little guy doesn't end up eating the Aiptasia, he'll just be part of the CUC. :)

However, would be awesome to have a Majano Wand.

I just picked up a 3rd Peppermint shrimp an hour ago, I'm going to let them try to figure it out on their own by sticking them in my quarantine with the rock that has Aiptasia, if they don't touch the Aiptasia I'll feed them one kind of flake for a few days, then I'm going to cut them off for a day or 2 and target feed the Aiptasia instead with the same flake the shrimps got a taste of, then let the shrimps find it in the Aiptasia J)
I've heard this is an effective method of training Peppermint Shrimp to eat Aiptasia.

Keep us informed about how effective the peppermint training program is!

I've never had much luck with peppermint shrimp, but I've never taken the time to properly train them, either. Berghia nudibranchs have worked well for me in clearing my frag tank of aiptasia, however they seem to be hit-or-miss depending on factors such as flow rate, predators, etc. I've only recently introduced Berghia to my DT which has significantly more flow, so I am reserving judgement.

I have one u can use for free just kick me down a frag of anything if u dont have a frag u can still use anyway :p . Im in the north bay tho. Santa Rosa, or I can bring to Feb meeting or can mail it but just cover cost shipping next meeting

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to borrowing it after Mike, I want to check one out before possibly buying one.

How did it work for you ?

sfsuphysics said:
I've been busy as all snot lately (school just started), so I haven't been able to borrow Mike's... I'll try tomorrow or Friday.
School? And here I thought you were done with school already!

I am planning to build my own from various parts. There are DIY instructions online.

Couple 9 volt batteries in series will make 18-27VDC with a push button and a long steel rod with another graphite rod (for cathode&anode). Graphite is used to prevent excessive corrosion while you use it in salt water.

Or you could use an AC-DC wallwort/adapter. With 18-24 volts (or higher).
Higher voltage implies more "zap" and hopefully more output current.

Basically you are creating a short "spark gap" using the water as your conductor to close the circuit. When you put the anode & cathode nearby, electric current will run across path of least resistance and if an aiptasia or majano is between the spark gap, it will get shocked.

Nothing else will get zapped because electricity runs between shortest path.

(that is why if you are underwater and there is a broken wires, USUALLY, you won't get shocked because electricity will run between the two ends of the broken wire). Of course there are strange situations where there is no GROUND return path and you and whatever you are touching act as the grounding pathway.

In our tanks, these zappers always have a return path to the "other side" of the zapper.

SOOO, that's how they work. I need to get to building mine. And I bought enough parts to build a few more. You cannot most parts from radio shack, fry's, or electronic shop. Harder thing is the graphite rod. I bought unwooded graphite drawing pencils on amazon. You can try to find at art supply stores.

zeroinverse said:
I am planning to build my own from various parts. There are DIY instructions online.

Couple 9 volt batteries in series will make 18-27VDC with a push button and a long steel rod with another graphite rod (for cathode&anode). Graphite is used to prevent excessive corrosion while you use it in salt water.

Or you could use an AC-DC wallwort/adapter. With 18-24 volts (or higher).
Higher voltage implies more "zap" and hopefully more output current.

Basically you are creating a short "spark gap" using the water as your conductor to close the circuit. When you put the anode & cathode nearby, electric current will run across path of least resistance and if an aiptasia or majano is between the spark gap, it will get shocked.

Nothing else will get zapped because electricity runs between shortest path.

(that is why if you are underwater and there is a broken wires, USUALLY, you won't get shocked because electricity will run between the two ends of the broken wire). Of course there are strange situations where there is no GROUND return path and you and whatever you are touching act as the grounding pathway.

In our tanks, these zappers always have a return path to the "other side" of the zapper.

SOOO, that's how they work. I need to get to building mine. And I bought enough parts to build a few more. You cannot most parts from radio shack, fry's, or electronic shop. Harder thing is the graphite rod. I bought unwooded graphite drawing pencils on amazon. You can try to find at art supply stores.
Makes sense. However, just hope you don't have overly curious fish or fish that tend to go after foreign objects.

Back