Cali Kid Corals

All Reefbrite LED worth it?

So question for you all:

Is going from T5's to an all LED Reefbrite lighting worth it? Here is the tank specs:

1.) LPS, and maybe some clams, and Fish (of course)
2.) No SPS
3.) Tank Size: 60 x 24 x 24 or I might go 72 x 18 x 24

I ask because I'm thinking of going all LED instead of MH's. Mainly from the electricty standpoint. If it is worth it, how many 48" strips and which types would I need to purchase?

Thanks!

-R

From an electrical standpoint? Eh... IMO no. LEDs are efficient but they are not that efficient to justify the electrical savings cost vs existing hardware you already own. Now if it was a matter of buying new lighting vs new lighting, then perhaps.

Crucial point is missing to this equation.... how many T5's are you currently running...

For what you have described I would go with 4 - 6 of the strips with a heavy push for the 6 count (and get the brackets for them).

My bill only went down $60 with removing 2x150w DE MH (eballast) and 4x 24" T5 actinics. I didn't replace them so the saving would be half that in my case had I went to RB's, about $30 a month.

rgonzalez said:
I'm currently running a 4 bulb Superactinics T5 setup.

So if I went with 6 strips, that would be about 1200$ ?

Dunno retail on them so I couldn't help you. Jess can tell you that. He runs six of them on his tank.

Nothing stolen, not DIY and not purchased used. I have been employed in some form or another in this industry for a long time ;)

And I don't get them for free... I don't get a screaming deal, I know that. The mark up on those isn't like livestock, that is for sure.

Back