Reef nutrition

Aluminum leaching in MarinePure Blocks confirmed by Ryan at BRS

This is nothing new. There had always been reefers who have elevated Al levels when using Marine Pure blocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is nothing new. There had always been reefers who have elevated Al levels when using Marine Pure blocks.

I've never seen actual evidence run in a controlled environment that confirmed the source of aluminum being MarinePure media. That's what's new.

There have been many comparisons of before and after test results with MarinePure being the only change. This is just another data point.

Up until they show the Al released is detrimental to reef tanks, the anecdotal evidence of hundreds of reefers with MarinePure blocks in thriving reef tanks still holds more weight for me.

I've never seen actual evidence run in a controlled environment that confirmed the source of aluminum being MarinePure media. That's what's new.
I tend to agree that this more confirmatory than what we've known before. It is a bit of a bummer.

And...yeah, I have a few of these in my big reef as well. Oh well.

Yeah I took out my marine pure a couple months ago for this reason, just in case. I've been using siporax and haven't heard of the aluminum issue with that...yet...

I don't know if this make sense to anyone but Cermedia did informed me a while back that the Aluminum form that is released in their product is Alumina, which is fired form of Alluminum, therefore toxicity is theoretically shouldn't be an issue.

Well if what Robert says is true, then alumina wouldn't be something to worry about because it's oxidized already and there won't be interactions with other elements in your tank and takes a crap ton of energy to release the aluminum so you don't have to worry about alumina breaking down naturally (if it could the metal industry would love to know how to do that!)

The problem is if it registers on a test then you really have no idea if it's bad stuff or not so bad stuff, which then makes the test useless. What does Triton do with their testing? do they use mass spectroscopy? I doubt it because if they do that then they should be able to distinguish between aluminum and alumina, unless they're very sloppy/lazy with their reporting.

Actually, I just looked up Triton. I stand corrected. They use ICP-AES which is atomic emission rather than mass spec. I remember they use ICP which I always assumed/associated with mass spec as the detection technique.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got desperate and bought 5 of them. One in my DT in the back, two in the sump. Then two in my QT tank which otherwise has no rocks.

The only reason I bought so many is because I bought two at BRS on sale, then I actually found them for $30 at Big Als. And, like I said, I'm desperate for lower nitrates.

V

I got desperate and bought 5 of them. One in my DT in the back, two in the sump. Then two in my QT tank which otherwise has no rocks.

The only reason I bought so many is because I bought two at BRS on sale, then I actually found them for $30 at Big Als. And, like I said, I'm desperate for lower nitrates.

V
I hear ya. I have four in my 300g to help with nitrates as well. I had heard that there was the potential for aluminum leaching, but all the anecdotal evidence from people running reefs for a few years with these blocks suggest it's not a real problem. So, that's why I went with it.

So basically any aluminum will show?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I believe so. My understanding is that ICP is the go to technique for looking at trace metal contamination in water, oil, soils, etc., but I don't think it will tell you the oxidative state of the metal/ion.

As I am typing this, I realize that alumina, aka Al2O3, is highly insoluble in water....unless there are other forms of oxidized alumina....

Back