Our mission

Amperage of equipment

Wow that's something you don't often see "yeah it was an easier job than I thought, so I'll only charge you this much..."

As you can tell I've had bad experience with "professionals"

First for me too. I don't begrudge the trades their $$. It's an expensive place to live. But when someone offers to charge you less, after a short pause to make sure I heard it correctly, I say YES!

I'm in San Carlos, but hdept has one for 20 bucks i think. It'll be useful to have around. unfortunately I'm renting the house so adding a dedicated circuit isn't an option. I'm having enough of a hard time getting the property manager to send an electrician over to ground the outlets! Pleasures of living in an old ass house! just for kicks how much did it cost to add the circuit?

Costs ... well I bought the stuff (Circuit breakers are less than $10, and I had some 20 amp wiring, plus two sets of GFCI outlets were about $10 each). I got a handyman to wire it (I know, I know) and It was about $150-$200. I overpaid him, so he owes me some work, but he spoke only Chinese and we were in a rush to go somewhere, but he's honest and said I paid too much. A REAL electrician, probably around $200 or so, so I didn't save that much and it was more of a favor than anything to give the guy work.

A real electrician might have put the outlet where you originally wanted too ;)

And yeah real electricians do jobs all the time without pulling permits, I'm not sure how other counties are compared to SF... but UGH is all I can say. Revenue stream for the city... bleh

Translation: You don't need to worry about the power draw from your outlet ;)

You do however need to worry if everything is plugged into a single GFCI if something trips it, you lose power for everything.

Plugged in the Kill-a-watt meter and here are the results:

everything on but heater: ~2 amps
Early morning, lights off, heater on: 2.3 amps

Now we're talking! That seems much more reasonable. Is the early morning reading with all the other stuff + heater - lights?

With everything on seems like you will be well below the ~12A limit for a 15A circuit. Time for a bigger tank!! :)

Now we're talking! That seems much more reasonable. Is the early morning reading with all the other stuff + heater - lights?

With everything on seems like you will be well below the ~12A limit for a 15A circuit. Time for a bigger tank!! :)
I just expanded my tank by adding a ~10 gallon satellite tank!

Back