Jestersix

And So It Begins - GDawson's 75gal

Well, this is the new baby. It is a 75 gal tall with a 20gal sump. The sump is divided into three compartments, one for rock, one for skimmer and fuge, one for return with more rock and heaters. Right now there's only one lonely hermit in the tank, otherwise it's a blank slate.

P1014940.jpg

P1014943.jpg

All that’s needed now are lights, and rock aquascaping. There was a post a while back on acrylic vs fiberglass rods and types of adhesives for aquascaping. Can’t seem to find it…does anyone have the link?
Thanks!

-Gregory

OK....been doing some aquascaping. Tried to keep to a more open framework while having lots of flat areas to attach corals. I even managed to put in several small ovehangs/ledges though it's kinda hard to tell. The pics look really 2D.

This is the first pass.

P1014957.jpg

P1014960.jpg

P1014959.jpg

Let me know what ya'll think. All input is welcome for the next pass.

-Gregory

I like the shape on the left that makes the tunnel.
The rest of it looks like a nice pile.
Try using the Golden Rule.
http://kb.marinedepot.com/article.aspx?id=10549
http://www.thereeftank.com/blog/aquascaping-a-reef-aquarium/

Nice start! IF you want, before you start stocking your tank....Lower the water level and drill it! It'll save you from depending on that overflow which as you already saw, might cause you problems ;)

You won't have to re-cycle the tank and I think not worrying about the overflow would be more than worth it. There are lots of forum threads on this and there should be some a good number of people on here that can help you with this. This is the one thing I skipped over due to the lack of time and it's probably the biggest irk I have about my current tanks that makes me want to upgrade.

You also have some nice arching pieces of rock - Could make for great tunnels or ledges

Nice start. I like the left side. the middle & right tend to look like a wall of rock. consider removing some rock to open it up some, maybe make a tower type structure on the right to give it a more varied look. Aquascaping can be frustrating yet fun and rewarding. take the time to play 'tank architect'.

Ok.....take two

P1014972.jpg

P1014973.jpg

P1014974.jpg

Think I like this one better......the bridge between the towers on the right kinda bugs, but it might just be because its still brite white.

thoughts?

-Gregroy

In a few weeks all of the rocks will be darker. If you don't like a part of your rock structure now, change it, because you'll regret it later once you have corals and fish in there. :)

Looking better. It is hard to tell in the picture but make sure there is enough room on the sides between the rock and the glass so you can still clean the glass.

The wife came home last night a really liked the new layout. I'm going to look at it for a couple of days before changing anything more.

Thanks for the reminder for space and glass cleaning.

-Gregory

Back