Reef nutrition

Anemone Problem

Theater room? LOL what kind of system do you have. My subwoofer has been turned off in my apartment for the time being (upstairs neighboor does not like it). Having a sub that goes flat down to 16 hertz will do that. My HT system when on draws on average about 6-7 amps. haha.

Yeah I got a pretty crappy room geometry for my living room (where the tv is) long and skinny, however a window spans 12 feet across the skinny part, but I'm not going to go selling my house just for a better place to watch TV :D

One of my friends set up a theater room on the ground floor of his house.

His annoyed gf dragged him upstairs to make him look at the closet doors and the dishes that were bouncing around :D

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3145.msg34557#msg34557 date=1203626421][...] but I'm not going to go selling my house just for a better place to watch TV :D[/quote]

The house that has free electricity :D

I have an old Sherwood processor/amp and a Crown K2 powering the sub. I built my own speakers, but the mains us Usher drivers. THe other speakers are hiquphon and Focal. My sub is a 15" tumult with a pair of 18" passives tuned to around 16 hz if I remember correctly.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3145.msg34560#msg34560 date=1203626944]
[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3145.msg34557#msg34557 date=1203626421][...] but I'm not going to go selling my house just for a better place to watch TV :D[/quote]

The house that has free electricity :D
[/quote]

It doesn't have free electricity :p

it has a PG&E (or whatever the company was before that) reduce rate :D

Ahh nice Tony. I have have a outlaw pre/pro with an Anthem MCA-50 amp. The Anthem is a beast 5x185 @ 8ohms. Speakers are only so so. Fronts Polk rti-8, csi-5 center, and fxi-3 rears. Sub is a HSU vtf-3HO with turbo charger.

I found some pics of the different speakers I built from when I lived in So-Cal.

My old system
c.JPG

Speakers/sub that I use now
b.JPG

Cool looking stuff. How much did it run to make them? Which speakers that I may have heard of use the same drivers?

All the speakers I used are seen in many high end speakers. I'll post up more info later...perhaps this hoopla should be moved to another thread though lol.

(feel free to migrate this conversation to it's own thread. Sorry for hijacking so much!)

ok, cost questions. My answers are sorta skewed since I had a bunch of connections from a parts supplier and also driver manufacture.

The sub: The driver cost me ~ $225 (at the time, this driver new with XBL2 technology was probably like $425 retail). The passive radiators probably cost on the order of $50 each?

The mains: I think I paid $60 for the mids ($145 retail)) and $40 ($90? retail) and about $50 in parts per crossover.

The small speakers (I have a 5 speaker set and I think I paid about 50% the total cost)): The drivers and XO etc probably cost about $270 each.

The old system: The sub drivers were custom made for me by someone I knew and they were essentially free.

The above does not include the cost of the enclosures and labor (I charge myself a lot! :p)

On your question on where you can find these drivers in premade speakers, well, if you really want to know then I can dig up that info. You can find them in speakers that typically range from 2k upwards in the crazy 50k region.
CP-8871-II_sm.jpg

604focal.jpg

Well, I think I've pretty much decided that at some point, I'm just going to move the anemone and the clownfish to their own tank. Now I have to think about what kind of tank to set up for them. I think it will either be a 29g nano cube that will pretty much be a dedicated tank for them, or it will be a significantly larger FOWLR tank, like a 120. Don't really know if I want to set up that large a tank though, but I figure if I'm going to set up a FOWLR that will house more than just the clowns and nem, it might as well be big enough to hold fish that I like.

I think the nano is the smarter, more economical way to go, but my husband isn't all that crazy about how it looks. But a big tank is a much bigger commitment, even though I would love to have a tank where I can have all the fish I can't have in a reef. Plus, it would be pretty hard to budget that, hehe.

Arg! This hobby costs too much money!

There are many "all in one" solutions. Some have a vastly different look. You may want to show your husband what there are and see what he thinks.

Biocube
Nanocube
Finnex
Solana (spelling?)
Aquapod
And another that I can't think of.

I looked at the Red Sea Max, which looks pretty cool, but damn is it expensive!

I like the nano cube hqi, just because it already comes with the MH lighting, skimmer, and everything. I think the biocube requires a retrofit? And while the retrofit for more PC lighting is not too bad (and might be enough for the BTA), it's super expensive for the MH.

Do any of the other ones come with upgraded lighting from the factory?

Factory modded:

http://staging.nanocustoms.com/index.php?cPath=1

Definitely not cheap for any of these modded fixtures. I've also seen others DIY their own MH into the existing hood and beefed up the cooling fans. They're not as clean, but definitely cheaper.

MarineDepot has a nice deal on the RSM, where you get the tank, stand and starter kit for $800, but STILL. Ouch. The stock T5's in there should be enough for a BTA, I think.

I think the nanocube is the most economical, especially with the free stand offer, but I did have reservations about the one I saw in person. Just not quite as nice as I'd hoped it would be.

Oh well...I'm not in a huge rush, yet. I'll keep an eye open for used setups, and in the meantime mull over all the choices.

fwiw, i have my BTA under a 4x39w T5 set up and it appears happy about a foot down. It was a little cranky at first when I had it on the bottom. That was the only draw back to it nesting in the rock, I had to watch it and help it find the right place.

Also really depends on if you're feeding the 'nems or not. You can get by with far less lighting if you do. Here's a really old shot of a RBTA 'nem (1999) in the 40G that I had while in college. Lighting over the tank was 2x55W (actinic + 10,000k bulb).

The RBTA was one of the first that was available at the time and I got it to grow from 1" around to over 5" in 2 year's time. I had to eventually sell it when the tank was broken down.

a.jpg

I just fed each of the 'nem a cube of frozen food every week.

Back