got ethical husbandry?

Anemone splitting?

I have a rose anemone that I think has been very happy for a long time. I came home today and it's either dying or splitting...not really sure. It looks like it's cut in half right through the mouth and the tentacles aren't as inflated as they usually are. Is this what anemone splitting looks like?

Here are a couple photos.

This was yesterday around 9pm. You can see the white mouth in the top middle of the pic and guts below it.

Fishtank851.jpg

And here are some from this morning with flash:

Fishtank853.jpg

Fishtank855.jpg

Fishtank856.jpg

Fishtank857.jpg

Cool! I was more worried last night since it didn't look as healthy. All the tentacles were really deflated and the anemone was really small. It's looking better this morning.

Some more photos taken 7/3/10.

FishTank862.jpg

Here you can see the foot has split:

FishTank863.jpg

The white part in the middle is the mouth splitting:

FishTank860.jpg

And here are photos taken today (7/6/10) It appears that the other side is showing deflated tentacles as it attempts to complete the split:

FishTank864.jpg

The funny thing is the clowns keep nipping and pulling the deflated tentacles. You can kind of see him getting ready to do it in the next pic. Not sure if the deflated tentacles are caused by the clowns or if the clowns are pulling on it to try and inflate them! Haha! Is this normal clown/anemone behavior?

FishTank870.jpg

FishTank871.jpg

Great photos! My GSM clown kept biting the tentacles of my anemone when I first introduced it. I caught her with green tips hanging out of her mouth. Fortunately, the BTA recovered and is growing steadily. Now, I just have to wait for it to split like yours.

eldiablosrt8 said:
lookin good...... wanna sell it,LOL

Haha! Maybe some day! I also have a pair of black and white ocellaris misbars from Robin that are currently living in a frogspawn and the Leng Sy cap. The rose anemone was actually their original home but they got kicked out by the orange clowns. I'm going to see if the new split will host the black and white clowns first. I'll definitely keep you in mind if I decide to get rid of one.

If it's actually splitting, I would hold off on the feeding. Splitting is a pretty stressful time for a nem (it should be splitting through the mouth as well, so I don't think they could feed anyway) they won't suffer from not having food for a while. For what it's worth, I rarely feed my nems. But hopefully you end up with two healthy ones. Good luck.

Back