Neptune Aquatics

Another sick clown.....

Purchased 2 onyx clowns on Sat. Both seemed fine in the dealer’s tank. The smaller of the two hasn’t been doing very well….listless, not eating, stability issues. Additionally it developed a white spot on its tail. That portion of the tail then fragmented. The white area has since moved up the tail fin onto the body. See pics. It appears to be spreading quite quickly. There was just a small patch on the fin this morning and now it’s the whole end of the body.

What is it?

P1015025.jpg

P1015024.jpg

P1015027.jpg

-Gregory

The fish was removed from the nano and given a fresh water dip for 5 min. He has now been moved to the fuge of the existing reef tank with the lights off.

Updates will follow

-Gregory

Well, he went on the Great Septic Journey this morning. His whole body had bleached that white color including his eyes before he died. I don't know what kind of infection it was but it was fast.

Thanks for the help Jeremy!

-Gregory

GDawson said:
Well, he went on the Great Septic Journey this morning. His whole body had bleached that white color including his eyes before he died. I don't know what kind of infection it was but it was fast.

Thanks for the help Jeremy!

-Gregory

Bummer man :(

Ok…now the other clown is not doing well. It appears to have the same issues, but starting at the mouth. I’ve started an aggressive Maricyn (sp?) treatment being that it spread so quickly on the other clown.

Question – I just received a shipment of various snails ( astrea, cerith, and narissus)for this tank. Is it OK to put them in with the Maricyn?

-Gregory

Thanks for the reminder about the skimmer.... no carbon to worry about.

She's starting to get spaztic head twitches. Have there been any issues in general with the onyx percs?

-Gregory

GDawson said:

She's starting to get spaztic head twitches. Have there been any issues in general with the onyx percs?

-Gregory

Are you sure they're onyx percs? They look like black oscillaris in your pics. I'm not too familiar with designer clowns but I saw them at a store this weekend and they were white/black/orange.

Honestly doesn't sound good for this clown either..But goodluck! Where did you get them from?

iCon said:
GDawson said:

-Gregory

Are you sure they're onyx percs? They look like black oscillaris in your pics. I'm not too familiar with designer clowns but I saw them at a store this weekend and they were white/black/orange.

Honestly doesn't sound good for this clown either..But goodluck! Where did you get them from?

They may be black oscllarius. I always have issues telling them apart. The fish were purchased at Aquarium Concepts in Dublin and the were bred at SA. At the LFS they were active and eating well. They looked just fine, however, they had just arrived the day before and maybe they just don't transport well.

I don't know. Clowns are supposed to be hardy little critters. The worst part is that this is my wifes tank. Her FIRST tank. So this isn't going over well at all. She's about ready to give up.

-Gregory

i lost my 1st set of clowns from AC but it took 4 months but they ended up with a thick mucus on them as well.....

i dont htink its a store issue but who knows.... SA clowns are pretty hearty little buggers too!

GDawson said:
iCon said:
GDawson said:

-Gregory

They may be black oscllarius. I always have issues telling them apart. The fish were purchased at Aquarium Concepts in Dublin and the were bred at SA. At the LFS they were active and eating well. They looked just fine, however, they had just arrived the day before and maybe they just don't transport well.

I don't know. Clowns are supposed to be hardy little critters. The worst part is that this is my wifes tank. Her FIRST tank. So this isn't going over well at all. She's about ready to give up.

-Gregory

Wow. One thing - Don't buy clowns the day after they arrive. They often don't ship well from what a LFS tells me. I hope they didn't charge you for onyx clowns, pretty sure they're black osci. The price should tell you what they are unless...yanno. Maybe Robin or someone else can chime in on that. There is a store in SJ called Blue Ocean aquatics that had all healthy clowns. I went in there and they've had them for a while, all very healthy. They had osci, black osci, true percs, onyx and some others. I usually don't throw a plug for a place that I'm not too familiar with but if you (your wife) really wants clowns, they have them and I would definitely say they're healthy. Don't let her give up! I know Robin doesn't have any available right now...He'd be as sure a bet as there is ;)

Back