got ethical husbandry?

Any LFS still carry "fresh" live rock?

I'm getting emails from BRS that are pushing fresh live rock flown in from fiji. Looks like a fantastic way to up the biodiversity of a tank, but I have plenty of rock. I would only need a few small chunks.

Are any local stores bringing anything like this in?

I dont think so. Most are carrying artificial reef rock and some are carrying live rock.

But the rock that BRS is offering is known as "Plane Rock".

If you get "boat rock" alot of the really cool hitchhikers die during the couple days it takes to get here via boat.

"Plane rock" short transit time theoretically more hitch hikers. Assuming it goes from ocean to bag to box to plane to your house and few interruptions.

Be wary of adding live rock. I've picked up some unwanted pests, including invasive algae by adding just a few more pieces of live rock. If you only need a few small pieces, dry rock is a safer bet.

contact Aquatic Collection. They use to have them and they can order for you. I bought fresh rock out of the box from them before but still need to cure before I place them in my tank because I dont know what still in the rock.

Be wary of adding live rock. I've picked up some unwanted pests, including invasive algae by adding just a few more pieces of live rock. If you only need a few small pieces, dry rock is a safer bet.

Yeah i'm terrified of that but I'm sure he knows how to deal with it. I used Bleach to sterilize my rock before curing it and putting it in my tank.

The main appeal and selling point of this "Air/Plane Rock" BRS is offering is the potential for cool hitch hikers.

@anathema I'm actually really excited to see what hitch hikers you get. Maybe a mantis shrimp, or an octopus or some weird coral?!

BRS says theres a good chance you'll see some anemones.

I bought my real live rock from T&T aquarium. They had some in stock at the beginning of the year, but I haven't been back since.

I will say this though, if I was going to restart my tank, I would opt either for dry/manmade rock, or the Florida maricultured rock from TBS.

@anathema if you only need small pieces I have a bag of small artificial rocks that are dry, but should be sterilized. They were in my tank when I had a bryopsis outbreak. I have no clue if bryopsis can survive after being dried, but a couple of days in bleach would be wise.

Back