Reef nutrition

Anybody use ozone in their reef setup ?

I use one. It's a large Ozotech unit. I bought it second hand and it doesn't tell me how much it doses, but I have it set at "3".

:p

I've used it for years and I know it works cuz if you sniff it it makes your brain spin. I haven't done any A-B comparisons with it on or off, so hard for me to distinguish the exact impact, but my tank does well so I leave it on. I have an small air pump that pushes the ozone into my BK180 skimmer.

Definitely very helpful in keeping water crystal clear. I have Redsea and Ozotech. For Redsea, I set it at 50 mg which is the max, and for Ozotech it is at a setting of 2 for 180 gal.

PS, ozone is really bad for you. Don't breath it. If you can smell it, you are over exposing yourself. It can cause all sorts of bad things (not to mention damage certain things that aren't "you")

Thanks for the input fellas. I'm looking at the Ozotech model, what's a good price on a used one ? Are you guys using the Ozotech dryer also ? Does your skimmers have a port for ozone or do you just tee off the air line ? So, I take it a setting of "5" would be about right for a 450 dt w/100 gallon sump ?

Oh, and Tony thanks for the heads up on sniffing ozone. :Sp

Jim

I've dosed it in the past... it made the water sparkly, but I couldn't really tell one way or another whether it was helping the animals. Just another piece of voodoo equipment that may or may not be worth the trouble. I think I've got a unit in the garage if you wanna try it out without sinking the dough. :)

treylane said:
Just another piece of voodoo equipment that may or may not be worth the trouble.

That's my take on them. Many of my customers in the past wanted them so I installed the units but advised against it.

Make sure your skimmer and other plumbing parts can take ozone if you do go that route. I think some bulkhead gaskets can be effected by it, but don't quote me on that.

GreshamH said:
treylane said:
Just another piece of voodoo equipment that may or may not be worth the trouble.

That's my take on them. Many of my customers in the past wanted them so I installed the units but advised against it.

Make sure your skimmer and other plumbing parts can take ozone if you do go that route. I think some bulkhead gaskets can be effected by it, but don't quote me on that.

Hmmm....food for thought. The H&S A250 skimmer uses schedule 80 throughout.

Ozone isn't snake oil in principle. I can think of many ways that they help clean the water and assist in more efficient organic removal. ..so I wouldnt quite call it voodoo.

No your right, but people put way too much stock in it as a water quality tool. It effects more then water quality to boot.

I've been running ozone on several tanks, two of which for 5+ years. For the most part you need to make sure you have the correct air line and your skimmer is cast acrylic, other than that IME I've seen no additional oxidation. I don't run the units full blast and only use them so I'm not changing carbon out like crazy. It's especially effective with peninsula style tanks where you view from end to end over 6', the clarity is amazing.

Oh yeah, I don't run O3 24-7, usually one week out of a month to keep the water purdy.

tuberider said:
I've been running ozone on several tanks, two of which for 5+ years. For the most part you need to make sure you have the correct air line and your skimmer is cast acrylic, other than that IME I've seen no additional oxidation. I don't run the units full blast and only use them so I'm not changing carbon out like crazy. It's especially effective with peninsula style tanks where you view from end to end over 6', the clarity is amazing.

Oh yeah, I don't run O3 24-7, usually one week out of a month to keep the water purdy.

Or right before a tank tour. ;)

I picked up one of those cheap Enaly(??) units some time back, no dials no knobs hell it doesn't even make a sound, I think it's just a passive producer and I need to hook up an air pump or the input to a venturi to pull the ozone in.

Gomer said:
PS, ozone is really bad for you. Don't breath it. If you can smell it, you are over exposing yourself.

Just wanted to reiterate how important this is. If you can smell it, that's bad.

Besides your own health, you can start to damage corals at very low overdoses of O3. I'd suggest people interested in dosing ozone to their tank read this informative PP by Andy Aiken of the National Aquarium, especially the parts concerning measuring total residual oxidants.
http://www.aqualitysymposium.org/ppts/chemicalprocesses/SMITH%20Ozone%20dosing%20and%20control.PPT.

We use it of course. Makes the water purdy. Not sure if it effects coral health one way or the other.

Matt_Wandell said:
Gomer said:
PS, ozone is really bad for you. Don't breath it. If you can smell it, you are over exposing yourself.

Just wanted to reiterate how important this is. If you can smell it, that's bad.
And a bit further: You can rapidly desensitize yourself to the smell of ozone. ie, the more exposure you have, the harder it is to smell it. Eventually, enough damage is done and it gets hard to smell it ...and you can see how downhill-bad this can get.

Back