Jestersix

Anyone deal with termites?

Klems

Supporting Member
I think I have a small infestation...what method would be safer for the reef tank.....tenting or Planet Orange ...orange oil...or something else?

I would contact planet orange and see what methods they offer considering its not a cat or dog and you cannot move the tank. Bombing/tenting the house would probably be detrimental to your tank (not an expert)

In most cases, I have used physical removal of the infected wood to control infestations. Since the most common places to get an infestation are exterior trim boards and roof sheathing, this works great most of the time. If this is not an option, there are many ways to spot treat a small area. Tenting and fumigating your entire house would put your tank at extreme risk. Vikane (sulfuryl flouride), the most common fumigant, is soluble in water and highly toxic to fish and invertebrates. The fumigation companies will instruct you to seal your fish tanks with plastic and tape, but personally I would not trust this with a reef tank.

In most cases, I have used physical removal of the infected wood to control infestations. Since the most common places to get an infestation are exterior trim boards and roof sheathing, this works great most of the time. If this is not an option, there are many ways to spot treat a small area. Tenting and fumigating your entire house would put your tank at extreme risk. Vikane (sulfuryl flouride), the most common fumigant, is soluble in water and highly toxic to fish and invertebrates. The fumigation companies will instruct you to seal your fish tanks with plastic and tape, but personally I would not trust this with a reef tank.
Plus if you seal it then there's no oxygen exchange and they die that way instead.

It depends on the type of termites in how they treat. Subterranean termites are treated in the ground, with things like termidor. All they do is drill holes through the cement and in areas of dirt dig a trench and put that termidor down into the ground. For drywood termites that is when tenting is normally recommended.

004.jpg
One of those bugs coming out of wood siding; there was a swarm of winged termites trying to find a new home. I think this one got into a hole made by a wood boring beetle then decided to come out to find its final day.

Back