got ethical husbandry?

Anyone heard of Strikers Reefing Company?

salty_taste

Social
BOD
I came across a local vendor that has a fish that I've had my eye on for a while now. Does anyone have any experience before I go ahead and make the purchase? Everything is stated to be quarantined

i just bought a gem tang and Desjardini from them. Fish look healthy & ate immediately. They did offer a multiple fish discount. I think it was 20%

They have a pretty secretive QT process. Most of its tank transfer but they have some other stuff they do that they keep “secret”

Free shipping but so expensive. Do they cut you any deal if you pick up?
Yea, local 15% discount! A little on the pricey side but losing fish suck so if I can hopefully get a healthier specimen, I'm game! Buy it once and be set :) that's my hope... especially since I rarely see them already at my local lfs

i just bought a gem tang and Desjardini from them. Fish look healthy & ate immediately. They did offer a multiple fish discount. I think it was 20%

They have a pretty secretive QT process. Most of its tank transfer but they have some other stuff they do that they keep “secret”
Glad to hear your tangs are healthy! I haven't heard much about them and literally came across their page a couple of days ago. But in terms of quarantine, if its anything like what you said I am appreciative of that. Guess I'm Locking that deal in.

Glad to hear your tangs are healthy! I haven't heard much about them and literally came across their page a couple of days ago. But in terms of quarantine, if its anything like what you said I am appreciative of that. Guess I'm Locking that deal in.
I know Bobby (aka humblefish) talked to them about their QT protocol but they weren’t willing to disclose everything.

i talked to a few previous customers who I know from QT forums and they said the fish they got were healthy so I have them a shot.

I wish they’d fully disclose everything but in the flip side the fish I bought are doing really well.

I know Bobby (aka humblefish) talked to them about their QT protocol but they weren’t willing to disclose everything.

i talked to a few previous customers who I know from QT forums and they said the fish they got were healthy so I have them a shot.

I wish they’d fully disclose everything but in the flip side the fish I bought are doing really well.
Yes I agree! Would be better if process was disclosed but if the specimen is healthy and eating, I have no issues. Good to hear another perspective and that previous customers are happy with purchase. The Tanaka Pygmy Wrasse is Mine :)

Last edited:
Without knowing what they consider to be proper QT I would assume they don’t do it “fully”. The majority of vendors who say they QT just do minimal observation/treatment or something similar that probably wouldn’t be considered enough by many reefers. Whether or not this matters to you is a personal choice. Testimonials from people you know are good, but good and bad testimonials can be found about everything lol. Lots of fish with hidden diseases look healthy and eating when you buy them so that doesn’t really tell you anything about if the fish is disease free or not.

I don’t know anything at all about this vendor, for all I know they may be the absolute best. I’m just reacting to what I see on this thread.

I bought a achillies tang from him when he was partnered with another guy under another company name. I would agree with @JVU; despite stating the tang was QTed, it introduced ich into my tank and resulted in me catching all the fish to run a proper QT.

Perhaps my experience was one off but I wouldn't trust a QT process in which the vendor won't provide details. If you want QTed fish, perhaps try the new store that opened in Oakland? I believe Kenny there runs a full QT process.

It does not seem that secretive to me. Tons of details here.

https://strikersreefing.com/blogs/news/our-quarantine-conditioning-process

Basically says:
They do tank transfer method every 24 hours for 2 weeks.
Plus various baths and medicines for parasites and such. They mention specific drugs given.
Sure, it varies from species to species, and I am sure it varies a bit simply based on the cost of the fish.

Sounds very good. Way more than I do at home.

I bought a achillies tang from him when he was partnered with another guy under another company name. I would agree with @JVU; despite stating the tang was QTed, it introduced ich into my tank and resulted in me catching all the fish to run a proper QT.

Perhaps my experience was one off but I wouldn't trust a QT process in which the vendor won't provide details. If you want QTed fish, perhaps try the new store that opened in Oakland? I believe Kenny there runs a full QT process.

The tank transfer method they mention should get rid of ich quite reliably. So your experience makes me skeptical they are doing what they say,
or are doing it to the required quality and eliminating cross contamination.

Although it is possible to have a tank that has low level latent ich contamination. A stressed new fish coming in could easily get it, making
it look like the new fish is at fault. Hard to say.

It does not seem that secretive to me. Tons of details here.

https://strikersreefing.com/blogs/news/our-quarantine-conditioning-process

Basically says:
They do tank transfer method every 24 hours for 2 weeks.
Plus various baths and medicines for parasites and such. They mention specific drugs given.
Sure, it varies from species to species, and I am sure it varies a bit simply based on the cost of the fish.

Sounds very good. Way more than I do at home.
They keep some stuff a bit vague. Ie what’s in the medicated bath. I straight asked what they do for uronema and they told me is a special thing they’re developing.

So ya. The aggressive ttm is good for ich and depending on how they do it velvet too. They name their deworming treatment too. But a few details are kept so it’s hard to put their entire treatment regime up against known QT protocols.

I will keep everyone updated and my experience in my tank journal! Picking up the fish soon :)

Was the only vendor that I came across having the Tanaka Pygmy wrasse! I guess they aren’t very popular in the hobby?

We’ll, back then he had had it for over 3 months. Said normally around $90-100. Sold it to me for $50 since no interest by anyone else.

I think overall the price has gone up on them. He had one a month ago. Not sure what he sold it for. And keep in mind these are no. QT fish.
G

We’ll, back then he had had it for over 3 months. Said normally around $90-100. Sold it to me for $50 since no interest by anyone else.

I think overall the price has gone up on them. He had one a month ago. Not sure what he sold it for. And keep in mind these are no. QT fish.
G
Oh wow! Great pick up

Dang need to visit Calikid sometime!

Fish is a bit larger than stated size, but welcome home, glad to rehome this fella ! Will update everyone on care on my tank journal!

Attachments

• E89EECB6-2ECB-4739-9038-143CC6CDB6B7.jpeg
    E89EECB6-2ECB-4739-9038-143CC6CDB6B7.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 86
Back