Kessil

Aquamend and super glue, Where to find it?

Went to 3 different HD this weekend and they were all out of aquamend. Was gonna try lowes but didnt get a chance. What other products can I use that is similar to aquamend and where can I find it? Also, what is the best super glue gel to use? I bought a 12 pack from HD last year and didnt see it there anymore this weekend....plus one tube of the 12 pack can easily be used to mount just about 4 frags and it was empty...... :| . What are you guys using for sper glue?

I purchased a big bottle of glue at Aquatic Collection few months back $15 otherwise IC Gel, might be some available at the meeting next Sat.

Oh, ok, I saw that J.J weld but wasnt sure. How do i know which putty's are reef safe? Obviously not want to go with the metal bonding material i assume.

This was my first time using putty but I know people on RC used the Aquamend one. Supposedly JJWeld is the same one just different packaging colors. It also says "safe for drinking water" or something like that.

I bought some of that JJweld stuff this weekend, it doesn't have the same instuctions and doesn't say aquairum safe, but a couple of ppl have told me it's the exact same stuff.

I was at HD 2 weekends ago and got the last tube of aquamend on the shelves(with the rest that row showing JJWeld). I thought it was mis-shelved. HD ppl told me that according to their computer, JJweld is the replacement(same exact SKU).

From the box, the manufacturing location seems different. Aquamend has a patent-pending note, and I didn't see it on JJweld. Who knows?! I used it on my tank anyway. It smell just the same to me. Heh.

Home depot has aquamend in the paint section, crazy glue gel at the dollar store a buck for 3 tubes. I think the reason you can't find the aquamend is because you have reefers like myself who always buy all of them when we see them LOL.

The jjweld stuff is NOT aquamend and is not even close.

I've used 2 sticks so far of something from PC (protective coating?? dunno) Grey epoxy, clear tube, red cap, white writing on the tube. Has a cure time of 3 min I think it says. And it's supposed to be for potable water plumbing. So far nothing too weird with it. Smells the same :)

northbay-reefer said:
Home depot has aquamend in the paint section, crazy glue gel at the dollar store a buck for 3 tubes. I think the reason you can't find the aquamend is because you have reefers like myself who always buy all of them when we see them LOL.

Actualy it's almost the exact same thing

from the PSI aquamend site "fast-setting compound for permanent repairs to many surfaces including fiberglass, concrete, glass, ceramics, metals, wood, and many plastics."

From the JB Weld Water Weld site "all-purpose adhesive for metals, wood, fiberglass, masonry, ceramics, PVC and ABS."

In addtion the site says "WATERWELD is approved by the National Sanitation Foundation for use with potable water (meaning you can drink safely from fresh water pipes or utinsels repaired with it)" Which I don't see on the aquamend site (it may be there I just didn't see it)

Roc said:
northbay-reefer said:

Actualy it's almost the exact same thing

from the PSI aquamend site "fast-setting compound for permanent repairs to many surfaces including fiberglass, concrete, glass, ceramics, metals, wood, and many plastics."

From the JB Weld Water Weld site "all-purpose adhesive for metals, wood, fiberglass, masonry, ceramics, PVC and ABS."

In addtion the site says "WATERWELD is approved by the National Sanitation Foundation for use with potable water (meaning you can drink safely from fresh water pipes or utinsels repaired with it)" Which I don't see on the aquamend site (it may be there I just didn't see it)

wait what? you're comparing the physical make up of two products just off of some marketing words?

Check the MSDS for active ingredients. That is far more telling then a couple marketing words used loosely on both websites ;)

From JB weld website (tech specs), they listed -
Calcium Carbonate 40-50% (of weight)
Iron Powder 10-20%
Epoxy Resin 30-40%
Aromatic Hydrocarbons 1-5%

- Aquamend -
From Polymer System Inc.
PSI website has technical specs, but doesn't have MSDS .

There's also Aquamend(tm) from NationalWide Chemical Coating Mfrs Inc with MSDS (msds
Ingredients
Glycidyl ethers of bisphenol A resin
Epoxy Resin
Zinc Sulfide 5-10%
Polymeric phenolic amine 1-5%

If in fact PSI AquaMend is the best to go, how about we group buy them.
online store. $4.50 / 4oz tube (twice the size of HD), after shipping it'll probably be like $5.50-$6

Alright..now back to work for me.

Hmmm I don't think I'd want either Zinc or Iron in my epoxy :)

I know I don't want "bisphenol A" aka BPA. Make sure you wash your hands well after it. If it dissolves in saltwater - who knows if it'll evaporate , brrrr.

I don't... hate the stuff. I use IC Gel or Boston Aqua Farms. I have tons of epoxy sticks laying around, but I use them for things like sealing our cargo container roof so the rain doesn't leak :lol:

phishphood said:
What's the epoxy you use Gresh? I want to look up the msds on that if I can find it.

I totally spaced on this one...

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/04/07/premium-aquatics-german-12-glue-grandpas-reef-epoxy/

I haven't used it myself but I was at Jake's when he tried it and damn, that is what epoxy should be like. I'll see if he'll bring some to show off during his talk :)

Back